Discussion: Trump Sends Warning To Allies: Increase Defense Spending Or I’ll Cut Troops

1 Like

Gangster. And that image of Bolton in the background in the seersucker with the cap of his pen in his mouth looks like every overage-in-grade-couldn’t-get-tenure angry white male assistant professor EVER.

21 Likes

Ally tells Donald he’s full of shit…edit: Just a polite “no”, but I guessing he was thinking "you’re full of shit. edit 2 which he’s probably been thinking since the campaign or before if he ever saw Trump in the past.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mark-rutte-donald-trump_us_5b3adac5e4b09e4a8b2689dd

17 Likes

I doubt very, very much he wants NATO members to increase defense spending. I think it’s that second thing—the troop cuts. He was “surprised,” one hears, to learn how many we had in Germany. He’s pulling our security guarantee from allies around the world.

For some reason.

30 Likes

"because others see you as a role model,” he wrote.

Noted without comment, because, damn…

Ok, maybe a little comment.

3 Likes

…when the Continent’s economy, including Germany’s, are doing well and security challenges abound.

At first I thought it was silly to imply that Trump personally wrote this letter, but then I noticed the grammatical mistake and it seemed much more plausible that he actually did.

1 Like

Yup, he’s a russian agent. Knowingly or unknowingly.

Those troops are in germany for our security, so that we don’t have to start world war III by accident.

11 Likes

When you’re a hard line, balanced budget, fiscal conservative you have to make spending cuts even if they’re painful.

4 Likes

It’s like cuts in Medicaid, other safety-net programs. People will simply have to take a little better care of themselves from now on. It’s a good thing, really.

15 Likes

“Vlad? This is what you wanted me to say, right?”

13 Likes

…and somewhere in the Kremlin, a balding, shirtless man smiles nefariously.

7 Likes

Anyone have any idea what he intends to do with these tens of thousands of troops should they be withdrawn? They need to go somewhere. “Nambia” or some other sh!th0!e country? Bowling Green? The Canadian border? Quartering troops in our homes?

7 Likes

Bet the generals are going to love it that the airbases at Ramstein and Aviano will go away.

I am not sure the locals will be all that unhappy.

4 Likes

ask Japan

Trump has been on this Vladimir Putin designed talking point for years. This is all part of campaign to withdraw the US from NATO in order to fulfill Boss Vlad’s wish list. It’s terribly dangerous but I am somewhere between baffled and stunned at how little resistance there is from within the military and national security community about such talk.

23 Likes

tRump thinks it will play well with his base to insult our closest allies just before he goes to cuddle with one of our most important strategic adversaries (and his patron). At what point will his supporters recognize the utter contempt that he holds for them?

(And why don’t Democrats point that out?)

11 Likes

Cadet Bone Spurs is Putin’s Lieutenant!

1 Like

They will be VERY unhappy. The Europeans know how important the American strategic umbrella is to them, even if they chafe under it and complain. And those right around the bases know how much their economy depends on the dollars they generate.

6 Likes

“As we discussed during your visit in April, there is growing frustration in the United States that some allies have not stepped up as promised,” Trump wrote to Merkel. “The United States continues to devote more resources to the defense of Europe when the Continent’s economy, including Germany’s, are doing well and security challenges abound. This is no longer sustainable for us.”

also

anyhow, welcome back 2016.

7 Likes

He is Putin’s asset.

8 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available