Discussion: Trump Says He Didn't Support De Blasio, Was Only 'Rooting' Him On

Discussion for article #245020

Has any public figure ever admitted to lying as much as this guy?

4 Likes

Nope.

Not even close.

3 Likes

I expect Cruz to latch on to this in s big way. Because Trump is saying he’s agnostic about ideology. He’ll “root for” anyone if it helps his business and though the same is true for most conservatives, they still like to think they’re principled.

4 Likes

Note his stated reason for disliking the mayor is not about De Blasio’s impact on the people of NYC, but “I have many, many buildings in New York, I have a big business in New York.” The world still revolves around Teh Donald.

6 Likes

LOL. Praise so faint it can only be detected as background radiation.

3 Likes

Oh, his ideology is classic GOP: I want more, f— you.

3 Likes

It would be revelatory if someone in the press recounted every lie Trump tells in any given day…not that it would matter to his supporters but others would surely be dismayed and disheartened.

2 Likes

The press tried, but
–it was too overwhelming
–no one seemed that interested

1 Like

Trump :
"Circle the wagons ! ! – er… Circle the buildings ! ! – er …

I’ll just run around in circles" ! ! —

Rich guy rootin’ on a rich guy…

Things we 99.99%ers are unable to comprehend.

1 Like

And here I thought “rooting” and “supporting” were sort of the same thing.

6 Likes

TPM:

“Well, I did say that because I deal in New York and frankly, I hoped he was a good mayor,” Trump replied. “He’s turned out to be a terrible mayor, he doesn’t know what he’s doing. I mean, the guy is incompetent. …”

As someone living here in Manhattan, I’d just like to say that I thought Mayor DeBlasio did an excellent job yesterday, leading the city through a nearly record-breaking snowstorm despite it being initially forecast to dump less than half the snow that it delivered.

Meanwhile, of course, Donald Trump was out in Bumfuck, Iowa yesterday, ignoring his snowbound properties in NYC, and bragging that his supporters are such lemmings they would love him even if he committed cold-blooded murder in the middle of one of America’s busiest thoroughfares.

Thereby providing to the country a thoroughgoing contrast between responsible governing and narcissistic bullshit.

9 Likes

I’m assuming he’s altering the past because De Blasio criticized him, which makes this one more textbook example of the way he simply denies reality. The New Republic had an interesting piece about this:

Falsehoods fly out of Donald Trump’s mouth with such unstoppable frequency that it’s tempting to describe him as a liar. … Yet the increasingly frequent tendency of Trump’s critics to label him a liar is wrongheaded. Trump is something worse than a liar. He is a bullshit artist.

The distinction it makes is that the liar still inhabits a world where truth and lies matter. The bullshitter, which is essentially what Trump is, doesn’t really acknowledge a difference:

“By his or her bluffing, dissimulation, and general dishonesty, the bullshit artist works to erase the very possibility of knowing the truth. For this reason, bullshit is more dangerous than lies, since it erodes even the possibility of truth existing and being found.”

4 Likes

Yes, this is only one million percent true. I’m still amazed however, at Trumps willingness to admit that he is doing that. That is usually the last thing these types would do. He’s like “I lied. Get over it.”.

I guess that’s just evidence that to him there’s no meaningful distinction. He probably thinks everyone lies, it’s just that he’s better at it because he’s so smart and so forth. And maybe in his mind the crazy things he says are true while he’s saying them. He just waves his hand and things are the way he wants them to be.

2 Likes

[Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump said in an interview aired Sunday that he never supported New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio and only ever rooted him on.]

Makes sense to me.

• I am rooting for Trump to win the GOP Nomination

• I do NOT support Trump in any way, shape or form

5 Likes

I’m sure if you looked at the NYC (CFB) Campaign Finance Board donation list from 2013 you would find a donation from either Trump or the Trump organization to the DeBlasio campaign for the primary and general election. Chances are his wife and kids donated as well.

Thanks for the post and the linked article.

All while I was reading the article about Trump, what he does and the difference between (his) bullshit and actual lying, I was thinking about the Republican Party and FOX “news”. Thankfully, the author provided the connection in the last part of the article. One other connection–the stenographers of the MSM for whom the ideas of “follow-up questioning” and “validity of statements” have taken a hike–may have to wait for another article.

In my mind, for bullshit, one needs the Chuck Todds as much or more than the Reince Priebuses and Sean Hannitys

You know, I think we’re similar in thinking the mainstream media are mostly useless these days in drawing political discussions closer to a constructive sense of reality. But we differ a little, I suspect, in how much we think it could be different. I think the mainstreamers have been shorn of about 80 percent of the power they had a generation or two ago. Back then the politicos had to go on the Sunday shows if they wanted to talk to a national audience. And if the hosts wanted to ask tough questions, the politicos had to take it. Even then they could evade the questions, but at least they had to sit there and listen to them being asked. Today they’re in complete control and you better bet they know it. Newspapers? A dying industry across the board. A major metropolitan newspaper I used to write for, the Philadelphia Inquirer, was just donated to a nonprofit institute by a helpful civic-minded rich guy. It was given away. That’s how much power the mainstream media have. I don’t know what can be expected from them under the circumstances.

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available