Discussion: Trump Lawyers: DOJ Can’t Fairly Assess Seized Cohen Docs

Windows were unbreakable.

2 Likes

This struck me as interesting: “In a filing on Friday, prosecutors noted that they previously executed other search warrants on Cohen’s email accounts and found that he wasn’t practicing law.”

11 Likes

*swings dead cat *
*hits lawyer *

God bless, TPM.

4 Likes

Making attorneys great again

1 Like

Renato Mariotti comments “prosecutors noted that they previously executed other search warrants on Cohen’s email accounts and found that he wasn’t practicing law.”

A question for the lawyers: what is the difference between being the president’s fixer, consigliere, and buddy (who happens to be an attorney), and practicing law? What is the difference between providing just regular old BS advice and providing legal advice?

4 Likes

Amicus brief? So to speak.

1 Like

The fate of the republic may hang on Judge Wood’s ruling.

2 Likes

The omission is certainly there, thanks for pointing that out. The word ‘search’ is woven into subsequent parts, and the cases she emphasizes are those presented in the government’s text, apparently seeking to invert the interpretation. She goes through circuit history to challenge the common practice assumption. For some reason the Bundy family comes to mind, but the dynamics of this district are supercharged. Judge Wood may have experience with Hendon, whose jarring opener was a sleeper headline, maybe even phoned in by the likes of Dershowitz …

2 Likes

[quote=“sooner, post:113, topic:70972”]
…the “staggering amount of attention trained on this investigation, Mr. Cohen, and the President” make it impossible for them to review the material fairly.
[/quote]“Your Honor, everybody knows that Cohen and Trump are guilty as hell of 100s of assorted illegalities, big and small. And so, how can anyone - especially highly-trained, professional experienced investigators and prosecutors…or judges, for that matter - give them a fair shot? They are so into the criminal world and life, that everybody except Fox News viewers just know they did anything they might be accused of and probably more. For that reason alone, Judge, we ask that the Court give back the documents and tapes and photos and computers and phones and other electronic equipment, etc. with all the vast amounts of incriminating evidence, enjoin the government from ever prosecuting Cohen, Trump and anyone involved with them (except maybe Eric) and let these despicable men go back to their disgusting lives of grifting, fraud and treason.”

7 Likes
ibecool

Last Post
2 hours

Seen
2 hours
Trust Level
basic user

I’d stay at arm’s length…

6 Likes

Well, first they’re coming, then begetting, then once they’ve begotten, they be gone.

3 Likes

Lifetime appointment, baby. The founders were wise in this respect.

4 Likes

I have to believe in your optimism.

3 Likes

So many candidates for the role of The Iceberg!!!

5 Likes

If it wasn’t. But I am sure it was.

If someone’s willing to loan me the money, we can buy one.

Maybe sail it down to Mar-A-Lago and anchor it there.

3 Likes

Attorney-client privilege applies only to confidential communications for the purpose of offering legal advice to a client who has the authority to act on that advice.

Contrary to what some people (Donny Dotard) think, just because you include someone with a law license in the discussions or on the memo doesn’t make all communications privileged. If the person with the law license is acting as a business person or as a friend rather than as a lawyer providing legal counsel, no privilege exists. If anyone else other than the client is a party to the communications, no privilege exists. (Where the client is a corporation or other legal entity, the communications must be limited to those necessary to providing or acting on the advice.) If the communication is made to further or to conceal a crime or fraud, no privilege exists.

Pretty much the same exceptions apply for the related “attorney work product doctrine,” which protects the lawyer’s documents that may not have been communicated to the client but reflect the attorney’s analysis and strategy with respect to issues in the representation.

13 Likes

Leading us back to Elliot Broidy and his paid girlfriend.

3 Likes

If only I could advise el jefe, El Naranja Inexplicable, I would say, “You’re fucked, buddy.”

It’s tough, I’m sure.

2 Likes

he’s already said that

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available