Discussion: Trump: 'I Like Bannon' But Don't Give Him Much Credit (Or Call Him A Racist)

Some of them really were bigger than life.

Someone like Stewart is like a sadly sweet memento from a different age. I desperately want him not to have been a Nixon supporter and a Reaganite, but he was. He did at least support Johnson’s Gun Control Act though.

Yes he loved the Republican Party but sadly lost a son in Vietnam. Sometimes events can shape our lives. Now take the persona of Mr. Bigly, not exactly a grand event or a world war but it certainly feels like it.

Initially, a family deferment, which was rendered moot by his leaving his wife for Marlene Dietrich, followed by procrastination and ambivalence, because he couldn’t get a cushy officers slot.

That sounds about right as Wayne was also behind blacklisting the Hollywood Ten. Nice guy. And then it gets weird, Nixon weird, as Wayne was an honored guest at the Nixon WH when the Vietnam war is ‘over’ and the remaining POW’s are brought home with a stop at the WH - to meet Nixon and the Duke over a WH lunch - with pics of course. Blows my mind as a conscripted Viet vet, and anti war activist after coming home in '69.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available