Discussion: Things Fall Apart On Looming GOP Immigration Bills As Members Bail Out

They don’t have to worry much longer. The Republicans will lose their majority in November. The Democrats will pass a bill. The issue will pass to the Senate where things will probably be a little different too. Trump will either sign the 2019 bill or he won’t. If he doesn’t he won’t win in 2020. A 32% base just can’t get you over the top when you have demonstrated you don’t give a shit about the other 68%.

5 Likes

I would love to see Jake Tapper or someone else on CNN turn to the camera and say, “We were going to invite Corey Lewandowski to be a part of our panel discussion, but…”:

1 Like

liked x gazillions.

1 Like

No he didn’t, he meant Trump’s ‘boobs’

Thanks! Just saw this there, too.

Love it.

11 Likes

The ONE bill the ENTIRE GOP CAUCUS can get behind is the “Babies in Cages 2018” bill they are desperate to bring to the floor!

EVERY REPUBLICAN IS A TERRORIST!

1 Like

I guess a lot of people will take their inability to pass much meaningful legislation as a good thing. Imagine the havoc if they were competent.

2 Likes

Mark Sanford’s expertise is limited to the Appalachian Trail.

1 Like

“Compromise” bill is a misnomer that I would expect the both-sides-do-it- media to use, but am surprised TPM would use it without scare quotes and/or putting it in context. To the ordinary (sane) reader, compromise would imply a deal reached between the Republican leadership and the Democrats. Not only is this bill not that, it’s not even a compromise reached between the Republican leadership and the so-called Republican “moderates” (in reality merely the only slightly less bat shit crazy). In typical Paul Ryan and modern Republican fashion, no one knows exactly what is in the “compromise bill,” but it is being written negotiated solely with the Freedom Caucus and is expected to much worse than the bill that would have gone to the floor via the failed discharge petition and only very marginally better than the Goodlatte bill. In the unlikely event it passes the House it is DOA in the Senate. (And someone tell the mathematically challenged Goniff-in-Chief that this is not the result of a Democratic filibuster, but because it is unlikely to receive a majority vote in the Senate; a similar bill recently only received 39 (all Republican) votes.)

2 Likes

5 Likes

From the article: Rep. Raul Labrador (R-ID), a retiring Freedom Caucus member and immigration expert…

Expert??? Evidence, please.

Retiring??? More like looking to step up but even his Republican electorate in Idaho felt otherwise.

3 Likes

I’m trying to figure out what part of that meeting the other night that Trump inspired the troops to do good legislating. Was it the part where he slagged on Mark Sanford?

One big limit on Ryan’s authority here is his unconditional commitment to a caucus-made rule named in honor of a serial child molester.

3 Likes

I’m used to editorial sloppiness from TPM; it’s almost part of its charm. But made-up words strike me as a bridge too far.

1 Like

The Hastert Rule requires support from a majority of the majority. If Ryan were relying on this informal rule he would only need 121 Republican votes and could tell the Freedom Caucus to pound sand. Instead, Ryan is using his own perverse, undemocratic rule that requires passage solely by GOP votes, a rule he contrived to protect himself from hard right challenges to his Speakership.

3 Likes

As some comment to Byers’s tweets… CNN needs to rectify that inexcusable hiring and drop the womp-womp moron.

5 Likes

Gee, the GOP can’t govern.

Boo hoo.

1 Like

lI put on my big furry hat and declare that from this moment forward, Corey Lewandowski’s name is forever Womp Womp and only Womp Womp.

5 Likes

Chaos works for Donald. Nothing is settled.

1 Like

Why doesn’t Josh, or somebody, or ANYBODY point out that none of this charade, this frivolous bullshit, would happen if the Republifascists didn’t impose their Pederast, oops, sorry, “Hastert” Rule on the House. That requires that any legislation must have the support of a majority of the majority part in order to reach the House floor. It is a recipe for NO ACTION ON ANYTHING, as well obviously as cutting the Democrats out of everything.
When the Dems take power again, they must find a way to make it impossible for this fascistic, anit-democratic rule ever to be imposed again.

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available