Discussion: Senate GOP Can't Even Agree On Asking Dems For Obamacare Repeal Help

The. Greatest. Deliberative. Body. in. the. World.

12 Likes

Someday, and that day may never come, you will get serious about governing this country. If that remarkable event comes to pass, then come talk to us about working with you. Until then fuck off.

23 Likes

Sen. Graham is crafting his own healthcare bill? In between TV appearances and, ahem, doing his work in the Senate ? Is he up all night? Working on the weekends? Oh wait, I know! He’s been working on this for years, it is only now that he is ready to show his work.
They’ve no shame in promoting their foolishness.

8 Likes

Of course if they only talk to and about the other “other” party, getting things dome for All Americans not so much.

2 Likes

They won’t work with us at all to take health care away from 22 million people. Go figure.

16 Likes

What would a compromise even look like, when Republicans are malignantly wrong about everything and Democrats keep falling short of the right answer too? Obamacare was a big improvement, but everywhere Democrats fell short, they erred on the side of being too conservative.

Though much of the Democratic voter bases wishes this were true, senior Democratic leaders from Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) to Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) to the DNC have rejected the idea of a single payer health care system. Even California, a state under total Democratic Party control, has been unable to implement such a model.

And there’s the essence of the problem. Democrats don’t support single payer.

What is the reasoning behind the Senate taking off the entire month of August?
Answer:

The idea of compromise for the GOP has always been, do it our way or go away.

So the Dems should go away. If the GOP wants to do the heavy lifting, then that’s great. As has been said so many times, those 50 votes to repeal were wasted when they had nothing for after the repeal. They’ve had six years to come up with something and they got nothing. Why should the Dems compromise when the GOP did nothing to pass the original bill and nothing to follow up to repair the known deficiencies?

This discussion needs to end; ACA needs to be fixed or left alone until some grown-ups can be elected to Congress to do the work the current Congress is incapable of; the Dems have presented their compromise: Quit jerking Medicaid around and knock it off with the tax cuts for the 1% as you effectively murder thousands.

Come to think of it, where’re the commercials from the Democratic party pounding these two conditions into the empty heads of the American public. THIS IS THE COMPROMISE!!! These two key points should be on the lips of every Democratic party member every time they manage to get a spot on the news /talk shows (which I recognize are few and far between). But this needs to be the message. Don’t make it pretty - just keep reminding the idiot electorate of these two key points. Some might finally get the message.

10 Likes

Shorter GOPosaur Argument: “Why won’t you god-hating, terrorist-loving, lazy-welfare-enabling, success-penalizing, tax-and-spend, Commie-bastard Libtards work with us???”

8 Likes

…and McConnell keeping the Senate in session is about protecting his people from angry town halls…

From “conservatives” (read:radicals) for not repealing the successes of Obama to others who are simply not cruel people.

3 Likes

“We want to burn down the house, and you have to cooperate with us.”
“No. How about not burning down the house and fixing the faulty electrical wiring instead?”
“If you cooperate with us, we’ll only burn down the house, but not the shed in the back yard.”
“No. How about not burning down the house.”
“If you cooperate with us, we’ll consider letting firefighters rescue someone while the house is burning.”

Meanwhile, an objective reporter tells us that the democrats simply won’t act in a bipartisan manner.

29 Likes

If Republicans want Democrats to govern and solve all the real problems because Republicans aren’t competent enough to, maybe they can stop fucking with people’s voting rights, all the gerrymandering, and tell RWM to turn the lies and overt propaganda down a bit and allow the party with the most adherents and the smarter politicians to win some elections from time to time. No Democrats should cooperate. Republicans will find a way to ruin everything and blame Democrats no matter what, and no matter how nice Democrats play. Republicans need to own everything awful they do, in full, if we ever want this country back on track again.

11 Likes

I hope those who support the Democrats on health care don’t fall for the “single payer” bait that Kennedy (LA) threw out in his interview. Many of us who really like the idea a single payer, myself included, realize that the ACA was a compromise intended to preserve a huge health care industry that is a big player in our economy while employing thousands of average people in fairly good-paying jobs. So when someone like Kennedy mentions “single payer,” he is hoping that we liberals or progressives or Democrats fight among ourselves over who is the purest when it comes to health care. The R’s best hope is that we harm ourselves over purity,and thus give them “permission” to act. I like what the D leadership is doing right now: no discussions until you agree with us on taxes and Medicaid. At this time, let’s not tear ourselves apart over single payer; we are working to promote the general welfare.

25 Likes

I’d much rather the D party focus on fixing what is already there. It wasn’t a perfect program, but it has already helped millions. The false flag about insurers dropping out of the program needs to be addressed loudly in the media, but the Dems have no propaganda team to make that happen. Heck, the GOP has already provided the media with something - Indiana’s request (per Mike Pence) for the ACA horror stories elicited many more positives than negatives, but that’s not making the evening news, is it?

The Dems could own the messaging for the ACA if they would just stop running away from their successes and find a cohesive and consistent message. Where are they?

10 Likes

If politicians are compared to used car salespeople, then things like polls and Senate procedures play the roll of the Kelley Blue Book. It’s convenient for the salesperson or politician to have something impersonal, if not exactly objective, to justify his or her opinion.

But just as (say) the filibuster exists to help the Senator get reelected, the book exists to help the dealer make money. Look at the spread between trade-in and retail book values some time. The dealer can offer you a screaming deal of $500 over book on your trade. If they offer the next sucker a smoking-hot $500 under book on the resale, they still make $1,000! If you settle for book value instead of $500 over, then the other guy could get a double-smoking, double-screaming, $1000 under book and the dealer still gets their thousand. In reality, the dealer would just keep $1500 but that’s another story.

The more I see of politics, the more clearly it works the same way. Democrats are at best the party of buying at 500 over and selling at 500 under, and Republicans are the party of deducting from your trade-in the cost of every nick and ding repair plus a new set of tires. And they charge the next guy extra for your aftermarket rims and stereo.

3 Likes

Waiting on their hedge fund manager bosses. Both parties have problems with a disconnect between their bases and the rich people to whom they are beholden.

Give you a hint. The Democratic hedge fund managers have have more in common with the Republican billionaires than with you or me.

2 Likes

O/T, but how did this get missed? I didn’t even know there was an OK special election. The Dems won. Why are we not hearing about this?

8 Likes

My take away is we can’t solve the ACA’s problems until the Republicans have exorcized the repeal ObamaCare demon… It is always about McConnell’s racist hatred of Obama.

2 Likes

I would limit it to just McConnell. Just sayin’.