Discussion: Sen. Coons: GOP Will 'Almost Certainly' Go Nuclear If Dems Filibuster Gorsuch

1 Like

I wouldn’t blame the GOP for going nuclear, as their only other option would be to suddenly become cooperative.

That position is untenable.

14 Likes

Translation: I would like to vote for cloture but am not willing to be hung out to dry alone.

At this point, it seems that the only existence of the filibuster is in democrats’ heads, when they are in the majority.

8 Likes

Let 'em. Let them pull the trigger. As Dems have found out, “dry powder” doesn’t get us much except lots of powder and broken promises by the Rethugs.

20 Likes

LET THEM. First they ‘stole’ the seat and now they will go ‘nuclear’ if they don’t ‘get their way’. Fine. Maybe THIS will be the straw to show people how immature the Congress has become…and no. Contrary to what the ‘media’ tells us it’s not ‘Republicans and Democrats’ alike. SUCH a lazy argument.

12 Likes

Coons is being tendentious or at least obtusely ‘centrist’: The Democrats clearly had no choice then – bureau and judicial positions were being starved of qualified leaders – but the Republicans clearly have one now. Any guess what they will do with it? I have few doubts myself.

11 Likes

The GOP would have gone this way anyway. Does not matter if it is this guy, the next one or whomever. They can blame Reid all they want, but if the GOP did not turn the filabuster into a common tool in the first place actions would not have been required in the first place.

They were calling it court packing to do the presidents job at that point and would not give his candidate the time of day. And apparently nobody cared. I think if they want to nuke it than go ahead. And live with the fallout.

9 Likes

No time for cold feet, Chris…

…or for showing weakness in the face of the enemy.

9 Likes

GOP should go Nuclear if they want to, and they likely will. Dems, however should not be afraid at all of this. Obstructing everything should be the ONLY goal. Fuck Them.

10 Likes

Nuke it. It’s to the Dem’s advantage in the long run and Mitch knows it. Make it clear that this is retaliation for the Garland obstruction.

14 Likes

The only other way to read this, is Coons obtuse. I don’t think Sen. Coons is obtuse, therefore…

He did the same thing re the impending govt. funding expiration, saying, Ds will ‘shutdown the govt’ if we don’t get a special prosecutor to investigate Trump-Russia ties. Newsflash to Coons: Rs control both chambers of Congress, and the White House, Dummy - i.e., if the govt shuts down (which it will, as we’ve seen with the Freedom Caucus and Ryan’s facade of control over his own caucus’ - it is on them.

Why does he keep sticking his foot in his mouth?

2 Likes

I’d prefer Democrats that didn’t act like the last 10 years didn’t happen.

18 Likes

Senator Coons, you have no “friends” on the other side of the aisle. They are your enemies and the enemies of the people in Delaware who voted you in and voted overwhelmingly against Trump. The Republicans are the enemies of democracy and fair-play. Don’t make it personal.

And never forget this.

8 Likes

The filibuster for Supreme Court nominees is already gone. Every time a filibuster is threatened, the nuclear option is threaten and then the filibuster never happens. This is the same thing as not having a filibuster at all.

14 Likes

What a fucking twink

Call the bluff you quisling

8 Likes

They lose it by default if they don’t use it, and they only might lose it if they do.

3 Likes

Let them go right ahead
In 2018 when we get the senate back , Ruth Ginsberg can retire gracefully and we can push Clarence Thomas out a 4th story window
(If it’s good enough for Putin…)

12 Likes

Gorsuch cannot be confirmed until we know where his monetary backing is coming from. There is a distinct possibility that the dark $7M supporting Gorsuch is being put up by Russian interests, as was the $10M dedicated to keeping Garland from coming to a vote at all. We cannot get stuck with a “pro-Russia” Supreme Court judge without having a very loud fight first.

SHOW US THE MONEY, THEN WE’LL TALK!

9 Likes

Holding their fire now, in the hopes of fillibustering on some future appointment makes no sense. What makes Dems believe that, if they go along and don’t fillibuster this pick, that the Republicans won’t just go nuclear on the next one? Republicans have no principles and care about nothing except raw power, so they’ll do anything they can to get their Supreme Court picks pushed through. Put up a fight now, call the Republicans’ bluff, satisfy the base and use it as a cudgel in the 2018 midterms. If they roll over like puppy dogs like they usually do, they look like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football…

5 Likes

Too late, he just pissed his pants on national TV at the idea of making Republicans “have a sad”.

And McConnell just had an orgasm without even touching his dick.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available