Discussion: Report: Trevor Noah To Succeed Jon Stewart As 'The Daily Show' Host

Discussion for article #234809

Never heard of him - if he’s been on the show three times I must have missed it.

I’m certainly willing to give him a chance though, and I don’t remember knowing anything about Jon Stewart before I started watching TDS. Jon has a great delivery; just the right mixture of befuddlement and outrage, but it’s really all about the writing.

I do like the idea of Jon becoming a ‘correspondent emeritus’.

He certainly seems bright enough, but from what I’ve seen of him, (he has stuff on Netflix) he has a very preachy tone which was in some of his DS appearances and that will not work at the desk. At least not for 20-25 years yet. Being lectured to by a kid only goes so far.

I hope he finds the right mix, I need DS to continue.

1 Like

He’ll do great.

1 Like

Women. They just aren’t fit for late nite host.

This guy is hilarious and smart! great choice!!

1 Like

He’s been on the show a couple of times. He called out the world’s hypocrisy regarding Charlie Hebdo and needled the US about how we treat Blacks. He’s pretty good, overall. I can’t wait to see what he does with the show.

Easy to look at, great voice, and a droll, dry wit that catches you by surprise. He’ll be good, just you wait! (athough we’ll all miss Jon terribly, hope he comes back now and then!).

I always enjoy his appearances on the show. I think he’ll do great.

I agree with this statement wholeheartedly. I didn’t think of it till I read it, but it’s true he is a bit preachy. I saw him the three times he was on the show, I liked what he had to say, I just didn’t like the way he said it.

He’ll never please everybody (I was firmly in the Jessica Williams camp) but I’m sure he’ll do great - the strength of this show is in the writing and the delivery, from what I’ve seen he’s got a unique delivery that’ll probably fit pretty well. I’m perfectly willing to give him some time to get into the swing of things - tough shoes to fill.

1 Like

We might be seeing another Jay Leno/Conan O’Brien fiasco in the making.

TDS is a beloved and culturally essential institution, and now they’ve put it in the hands of someone who has the looks, wit and gravitas of a Ronan Farrow. WTF

I dont care about whomsoever they select to helm TDS, BUTTTT… he/she must be astute&politically-knowlegeable enough to hold the politician’s Hobbit-feet to the fire, AND extemporaneously at that!!

…there are plenty of shows that parody pop-culture and current events…we need these congressional choad-loads and troglodytes to squirm and sweat right after they mumble their pathetic non-answers into the mic if they even have the cojones to appear on TDS.

I watched that earlier. Interesting cultural perspective, but honestly, he doesn’t have the chops yet… He didn’t spark one laugh in me. Could it be that there wasn’t one home-grown person, male, female, of any ethnicity that was up to the job?

I LOVE Trevor Noah!! He is a very funny comedian from South Africa, he has done several specials and one man shows. He is funny and political. Though between Noah and Olliver it will be weird to have two non-Americans commenting on crazy US politics.

2 Likes

TBH, when Jon Stewart is outside the Daily Show he often comes off that way as well. So it’s not necessarily a deal-breaker. We shall see…

I was hoping Wyatt Cenac would come back, or that Aasif Mandvi would get promoted, but Noah is okay, too. Still, him coming out of practically nowhere must have some at TDS pissed off.

1 Like

Who dat?

To you and @lamitatron1, I worried about that, since I’d only seen him on TDS; but the Times story has a link to his Letterman appearance:

– which of course sent me down the YouTube rabbit hole for a while, to interviews and other bits. I’m now officially a big fan, and I think he’ll do just fine.