Discussion: Report: Secret Service Can't Pay Agents Because Of Trump's Travel, Large Family

So unless these golf carts are super tricked out wouldn’t it had made fiscal sense to buy the damn things?

1 Like

The idea of an SUV tearing up a golf course would give the ghost of George Carlin a massive erection

3 Likes

What is TRump costing America, everything.

1 Like

$187,000 a year to go on all the asshole’s vacations and buy hookers and coke all over the world? I’d do that for free. It’s not like it’s open fire on the idiot. I say if we’re going to pay that much a year then we all get one shot at him wherever he is and make them earn their keep.

oh, and because there are just those… //////ssssss
ok?

According to Republican conservatives, it is mandatory — without question — that we taxpayers pay for Donald’s golfing games.

If you can’t afford your critical medicine, taxpayer, that simply proves you’re a loser, and Donald is a good businessman, who knows how to get taxpayers to fund his lifestyle while avoiding taxes himself. It’s all perfectly legal.

2 Likes

There’s got to be a good joke here: How many Secret Service agents does it take to guard Trump’s retinue?

2 Likes

Reportedly several Secret Service families are living huddled under one of those prop Trump salary checks used on camera to blow smoke about the (wink, wink) presidential salary give-back…

Anyone wanna take a guess at the right wing reaction if this were Pres. Obama that had drained the SS budget - not even a YEAR into his presidency…???

Anyone…???

By the way, I love Pres. Obama but even I would have some major issues with it if he’d done this.

2 Likes

Did not know that. Thought they were still part of Treasury

I replied to a question that assumed the 48 people were all members of Trump’s family. Their budget’s around $2B and they asked for a $60M increase in March to protect the Trump family. That was a projected 3% increase in SS budget due to Trump. It wasn’t enough, but I don’t see anything that would suggest they need something like twice as much. It’s probably ~4-5% more instead of 3% more.

I’m not making excuses for Trump. Don’t shovel words into my mouth that I never said.

Stop protecting him.

Win win in my book.

If something happened, it would not only be poetic justice but a win for the world.

1 Like

and where are all the cutting spending gop on this

1 Like

Are you implying, “and one to screw…”?

1 Like

Well all know how this would be going if obama had done the same thing. The gop would want him to pay for his own protection instead of wasting taxpayer money

1 Like

That’s not their base pay. (I’m rounding off all numbers that follow) Secret Service agents (in 2010) make 45,000-75,000/year. Given that they generally have LEO or military training before being hired, they probably do not come in at the bottom of the range. To qualify for Protective Detail, an agent has to have 6-8 years with the Secret Service already. On top of that, assigned to DC, they probably qualify for a 25% addition for locality pay. That boosts their pay by about 19,000/year to 94,000/year. That’s based on a 40 hour work week.

Overtime is time and a half. Say Protective Detail, even with rotations off, averages 60 hours/week (80 hours some weeks, 40 hours others). That’s 20 extra hours x 1.5= 30 hours worth of extra pay. 30/40=.75. 0.75 x 94,000=70,500. 70,500+94,000=164,500.

I’m sure some of my assumptions are off, but I think the spirit is right. Some of the numbers come from the article below.

The amount of stress being put on the Seret Service by Trump and his hangers-on is obscene, but the pay being received by the Protective Detail, given the sacrifice they are supposed to make, is not at all obscene.

1 Like

My point is, we are covering the same number of ex-President’s that we usually cover. Their longevity isn’t the change. The change is, we have President that is travelling to his personal…very expensive…clubs nearly every weekend, far beyond what any President has normally done in the past.

That’s the cause of the spike in expenditures.

The other issue at play here, which the article doesn’t make as explicit, is there are less people willing to be Secret Service agents right now, which means the remaining agents have to work longer hours to cover the same workload, thus running up more over time.

That may or may not be attributed to Trump being in the White House.

well, it’s really a septic tank, if you want to be accurate

Can you imagine the level of squealing and shrieking that would be coming from republicans if this story had been about Obama? The red state side of Congress would be going nuts, along with Fox, Rush, and the rest of the menagerie .

No pitchforks only rhetorical ones!

i think just one half of an equestrian statue would be representative enough - maybe re-purpose a confederate general monument by removing the rider and sawing the front half of the horse off.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available