Discussion: Report: Iranian Official Says GOPers Tried To Stall Prisoner Swap For 2016 Election

Discussion for article #245896

Not that his statement pulls a lot of weight; I’d still love to hear which GOPers were involved.

39 Likes

“Republican rivals of the current US administration attempted to stall last month’s Iranian-U.S. prisoner swap until the eve of the U.S. presidential election.”

History repeats itself for the party of Reagan.

Who’ll pardon them all this time?

73 Likes

It’ll require more investigation, but I don’t put it past the current GOP.

26 Likes

Yeah, I’m not ready to believe this guy, but if the reporting bears out, the guilty should be hammered for this! Playing domestic politics with the very lives of American captives abroad? That’s some heavy-duty industrial strength douchebaggery there!

26 Likes

It sure seems plausible to me. After all, Dirty Tricks = Republicans = Morons. Duh!

17 Likes

Again?

28 Likes

I for one have always believed the October surprise conspiracy:

25 Likes

Gosh, there are no new tricks, just old ones recycled. At the end of the Carter ad inistration the GOP PUSHED TO DELAY THE RELEASE OF THE American hostages until Reagan was sworn in.

21 Likes

I’d love to know who the traitors are. Please tell me the Iranians got audio?

30 Likes

I so want this to be the truth. However there is no proof and no names of the GOP that supposedly wanted this. If it is true, what would they do if another Dem gets the White House, make prisoners stay in Iran? It doesn’t make sense. But I remember history so it smells right. Right now it’s rumor. Proof will give it legs. And if it turns out to be true can the GOP be sued by the prisoners?

11 Likes

Anyone with any doubts about Reagan’s involvement in the original October Surprise should read Dr. Gary Sick’s careful account. Sick’s book has been rabidly attacked by the far right that doesn’t want to believe that the story is true, but Sick was there in the White House. The outcome was that Americans were kept prisoner in Tehran, at the behest of Reagan, to prevent Carter from having a positive achievement during the fall elections. The day of Reagan’s inauguration the prisoners were miraculously released.

34 Likes

Anything to keep the african american usurper from succeeding.

19 Likes

Great minds… first thing that came to me.

and OllieOllie-traitor North.

16 Likes

It’s not like it would be unprecedented. In fact, it would be them following in the footsteps of the guy they want to compare themselves to all the time.

16 Likes

Yes. Now would be a good time to drop some names.

14 Likes

Tom Cotton

43 Likes

There will be no investigation, not an official one, anyway. Wouldn’t want to risk having to prosecute Republican leadership, after all. :angry:

8 Likes

The GOP senators who signed that letter for the supreme leader should be seen as suspects.

Now two of em are still presidential candidates…

31 Likes

The film Argo touches on this as well the documentary Our Man in Tehran., and that was the Canadian ambassador who housed half dozen Americans for several months. The Iranians hated Carter, made a deal with Reagan to release the hostages when he was elected. Shameful history repeating itself.

12 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available