Discussion: Princeton Study: U.S. No Longer An Actual Democracy

Discussion for article #221604

[quote] Asking “[w]ho really rules?” researchers Martin Gilens and Benjamin I. Page argue that over the past few decades America’s political system has slowly transformed from a democracy into an oligarchy, where wealthy elites wield most power. [/quote] Excuse me, but the USofA is not now and has NEVER been a Democracy. it’s been a Republic since inception.

"I pledge allegiance … to the REPUBLIC for which it stands … " Sound familiar?

2 Likes

Yeah, we exported all our Democracy to Iraq and Afghanistan.

4 Likes

In other words, water is wet.

3 Likes

Forgive me if I’m wrong, but isn’t this “new study” months if not a year or more old?

EDIT: Oh yeah, this is from April, 2014. W. T. F. question mark question mark

6 Likes

and this is supose to be breaking news???..this is why we need more people like elizabeth wareren bernie sanders etc etc to atleast fight back against those who want to0 take this country back to the slavery days only its the middle class and blacks, white ,hispanics, women ,childeren vets ,seniors etcetc that it will effect

5 Likes

Yup…DC is ruled by Oligarchs and none of them more so than the politically hyper Koch billionaires.

The really bad news is that your star and your local town government is even worse than DC!

Town governments run by a town manager and a few well connected and moneyed families is now more common than ever.

2 Likes

Politics is simply the process by which a society answers the question “Who decides?” It’s impractical to require the uninformed masses to decide each and every issue by a popular vote. In America, we have a choice of two types of elitism: Financial Elitism (rich people get to decide) or Intellectual Elitism (smart people get to decide). Sadly, since the 1980’s, we’ve allowed rich people to decide instead of smart people.

1 Like

In other news, a new Princeton Study has found that most people do not care for the scent of feces.

1 Like

But they eat it by the scoop anyway because they’re either too lazy or too stupid to fight back.

2 Likes

Dear Madam,

We could not keep the Republic because they thought it was a Democracy.

Ain’t that the truth.

1 Like

The UnTied States trying hard to become a

TeaOcracy

TimTeaBow will become the First Ayah-TellYa What To Believe…

All money will have the visage/s of the Koch B oys.

Women will never have to worry their pretty little heads about anything but activities in the kitchen and bedroom…No need for the bitches to vote.

Minorities will ALL be employed by the gated communities who need houses cleaned, pools sanitized, masters satisfied and golf courses maintained.

…and HobbyLobby will be the monopoly that provides cheap-ass fabric for burqas.

Fact is we are becoming an oligarchy and worse more like a plutocracy.

1 Like

Gee, what a surprise! And you can see by the “citizens” voted(not). Well, as the old expression says: “you get what you pay(vote) for”.

Told ya.

So the next question is: “What’s to be done about it?”

2 Likes

I do. I do.

The funny thing is that most of my right wing friends have always argued that the US was never supposed to be a democracy in the first place. Whether or not that’s true, it certainly was not supposed to be this, so I guess we both lose. Although we lose worse, because right-wingers are probably more likely to bend over and take it up the back door from an oligarchy than liberals are.

1 Like

Clearly, this is the fault of all those brown people coming here illegally (also ungrateful slaves), and voting for free money and Obamaphones.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available