Discussion: NYT: New National Security Adviser Breaks With Trump On Views Of Islam

It could be you and @carolson are both right—in today’s media world, if one outfit breaks a big story then fine, it’s out there, especially if they’re your biggest direct competitor. OTOH while the NYT has individuals doing great work they’ve been perceived as less aggressive than the WaPo and the injustice to Hillary needn’t be raked over here but speaks for itself. I doubt they have authoritarian sympathies as much as they may still be mired in a misguided effort to seem “balanced.” Newspaper people, among whom I pretty much grew up careerwise, are kind of like the Amish in their reluctance to adapt to new conditions.

6 Likes

I hope you are correct.

1 Like

Pompeo, Burr and Nuneo accede to WH request to carry water. McCabe and Comey decline.

5 Likes

Tinkerbell! Tinkerbell is dying!!! You’ve got to clap!!!

Harder!!! HARDER!!!

9 Likes

We can place bets on what comes first: his utter disgust or Bannon’s firing? I, for one, cannot wait for the first “official” to write a book on it all.

1 Like

McMaster told National Security Council staff in a meeting that the label “radical Islamic terrorism” is not helpful and that terrorists are “un-Islamic,” the New York Times reported, citing unnamed sources who were present.

I read that earlier and thought it was a very important distinction that needs to be emphasized. But will it be?
Here is a quote attributed to him, and I hope he absolutely still feels this way:

“I think there are usually four causes of breakdowns in moral character—ignorance, uncertainty, fear, or combat trauma. It is important to understand the effects of those four factors on an organization and then educate soldiers about what we expect of them. We need leaders who have physical and mental courage on the battlefield, of course, but also the courage to speak their minds and offer respectful and candid feedback to their superiors. Our leaders can’t feel compelled to tell their bosses what they want to hear.”

We are fighting a war. Good luck, General McMaster.

12 Likes

WaPo has really shined (shone?) lately … they jumped on the bash Hillary bandwagon as well but they’ve been stellar since the election, imo.

2 Likes

I expect these differences of opinion to be settled via an in-depth explanation on Twitter by POTUS, not exceeding 140 characters in length.

5 Likes

Pence’s inclusion of the Nicaraguan flag simply affirms his unwavering support for the Three-State Solution.

28 Likes

All but the fourth reason describe most Trump supporters. And yes

2 Likes

Betsy DeVos was told to get on board with Trump or step down when she disagreed with him about how to treat LGBT students.
Is it the same for the big bald guy in uniform? Get on the Trump train or get the fuck out.

2 Likes

In this case, Trump is a follower, not a leader.

Almost the entirety of the Republican Party berated PBO with the nonsense that you can’t fight terrorism if you don’t call it “Islamic”. I recall Ted Cruz being particularly swarmy about it.

5 Likes

I guess all of the Russian flags at CPAC got confiscated.

12 Likes

He was confused cause the flag didn’t have “TRUMP” on it.

Jesus, these guys give incompetence a bad name.

9 Likes
1 Like

Their blissful lack of executive power meant they didn’t have to deal with Middle East diplomacy, intelligence-gathering, or any other real-world aspects of the situation, so they could be bigoted jerks and please their base. Obama didn’t have that luxury and it wasn’t his style. It’s not pleasant to think how much all that soft power has certainly been degraded since the election. : (

6 Likes

Oh, good grief.

2 Likes

Must admit thinking “That’s fake”, but oh, no, they never disappoint, do they ?

4 Likes

I was thinking the breakdown has definitely occurred in the Trump White House.

Wait. Didn’t it all just magically disappear once those words were uttered?

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available