Discussion: New GOP Congress Fires Shot At Social Security On Day One

Discussion for article #231692

Could someone please tell me when we stopped understanding the word “reform” to mean “make things better” and, without the slightest objection, accepted it as meaning “deliberately fucking things up?”

72 Likes

Since over 20% of our national debt is owed to the Social Security Trust Fund, I think the answer lies in - Pay up Republicans!

21 Likes

Wow, it didn’t take these greedheads long to find a new hostage.
Republicans, how about some evidence of widespread fraud to justify this move? Or, like your phantom ‘voter fraud’ and ‘welfare fraud,’ are we just supposed to take your word for it?

24 Likes

When Ross Perot founded the Reform Party?

5 Likes

Thank you TPM for making this visible. Hope other media runs with it too.

20 Likes

That’s it! That’s exactly the moment it happened! I mean, you could argue that it happened when Jesse Ventura ran for Governor of Minnesota, but I’d go with the point when Perot started it.

3 Likes

All the Tea Party folks who are on disability and hate the government (and there seem to be quite a number of them) won’t know what hit them.

32 Likes

Assholes.

14 Likes

I’m guessing not a single Democrat saw this coming, right?

1 Like

“The incoming GOP majority approved late Tuesday a new rule that experts
say could provoke an unprecedented crisis that conservatives could use
as leverage in upcoming debates over entitlement reform.”

First off Dylan, Social Security isn’t an entitlement. It’s MY MONEY… I paid into the system all my working life. It’s not a handout or free money or welfare.

Secondly if republicans mess with SS they’ll find that they’ll be missing some votes next election. Seniors as a block tend to vote in a higher proportion that some others. And that’s ignoring that we also tend to write letters to our representatives when we get pissed off. M’kay? Traditionally SS has been the third rail of politics.

27 Likes

Brass Tacks of GOP/Teatroll mindset: “Your disability is fake and it’s cutting into the benefits I could get for my real disability. Quite simply, you don’t deserve it, but I do.”

Now, just change the wording (and pay special attention to how you define who they are talking about) and you also understand their beliefs on “welfare”, Medicare, Medicaid, and all the reasons they believe they haven’t become rich yet, you know, as was promised and would’ve happened if not for these undeserving people soaking up all the things that should’ve been theirs.

22 Likes

Oh please Republicans don’t start cutting Social Security benefits in the middle of a Presidential election. It would just ruin the chances for Democrats.

You are all so much smarter than the rest of us and so much more committed to fiscal balance, we do know that. But do you really need the gratitude of all the elderly and the disabled and the people who care for them, gratitude that someone finally has noticed what an extravagant waste we have inflicted on them at the cost of bankers’ bailout contingency funds?

How could you be so cruel to your political opposition. If you continue to do this, the Democrats may actually thank your – yes, thank you – for putting them out of their misery.

Or maybe Obama has a mole in your ranks.

17 Likes

It’s a real head-scratcher, isn’t it? The G.O.P. base includes a huge chunk of angry old white people. So let’s go after their benefits! Brilliant.

13 Likes

Tax cuts for billionaires remain untouched, as usual.

20 Likes

Old people listen up, this is the republican congress you voted for. Yep, you get what you reap.

15 Likes

No, no. No need. This is all about The Deficit. We will be hearing a lot about The Deficit these next two years. And I speak not of the deficit, the difference between revenue and expenditures that has been shrinking steadily for some time now. No, I’m speaking of The Deficit, the big, enormous yet inchoate, monster that devours futures and children, the monster whose all consuming wrath can be assuaged only through the forced moral improvement of the sick, the aged, the infirm, the poor, the weak, and the powerless. And the only way to work the necessary moral improvement on these moochers is, sadly, through the gratuitous infliction of misery and suffering upon them.

It’s not that Republicans are cruel, greedy assholes enslaved to billionaire psychopaths. No, no, not at all. Rather, the suffering must inflicted for the good of those upon whom it is inflicted and the nation as a whole. Only through their suffering can the Magic Confidence Fairies be appeased.

22 Likes

They know what they want and they deserve to get it, good and hard.

6 Likes

So then, Soylent Green – for their own good, of course?

3 Likes

That pretty much sums up the Teabagger Party Platform.

13 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available