Discussion: Mueller Brings Ex-GOP Rep. Weber Into Probe Over Manafort-Tied Interests

2 Likes

C’mon, TPM, get up to date. Was staff told “Get a picture of Vin Weber. Don’t make it current, we’re going for a skeevy 70s vibe.”

I think there’s 48 stars on that flag in the background. Geez.

Vin Weber today:

13 Likes

See, both sides do it! Not a defense, Trumpites…sorry.

4 Likes

This Orwellian named lobbying group sounds like a money laundering front to me. The question is did Podesta and Weber really know what was going on with this money and whether their work was truly legitimate lobbying work or not. Mueller may also want to know if Manafort dissuaded them from doing a FARA registration.

4 Likes

they’re big boys that should know WTF is going on. It’s all about the Benjamins

8 Likes

LOL. I assumed the photo was from his involvement in ABSCAM.

8 Likes

There is likely to be a lot of collateral damage in Mueller’s probes. He cannot see evidence of crimes and just blow them off.I actually think that is a lot of what is going on with the initial Manafort indictment. Getting some of the collateral things out of the way. Papadapoplas was the first part of the Russia investigation.

5 Likes

That’s what happens when an entire political party excuses criminal behavior

4 Likes

My understanding is that Tony Podesta was hired by Manafort to do some PR work for the Ukrainian government he (Manafort) was supporting. If that’s all Podesta did, I hardly think he’ll be found guilty of anything. I think the case against Poedsta will boil down to how much he could have known about who was paying him and where the money originated. It’s quite likely that Podesta didn’t know and had little reason to investigate the matter, so I don’t see the case against going far.

1 Like

Thanks for the updated picture, even though it adds nothing to the story.

2 Likes

The report, written by former Obama White House counsel Gregory Craig, found that Tymoshenko’s trial was procedurally flawed but not marked by political persecution. The Ukrainian justice ministry officials who supposedly commissioned the report trumpeted it as proof that Tymoshenko was not a political prisoner.

But how the report came to be is now in question. According to the indictment of Manafort and Gates, the two men “used one of their offshore accounts to funnel $4 million to pay secretly for the report.”

This section is particularly disturbing. If i’m interpreting this correctly, Manafort and Gates secretly paid Obama’s White House Counsel $4 million to write a report that documented Tymoshenko’s trial as flawed, but not political. If Manafort and Gates paid for that report, who actually issued that report? On who’s “official” behalf was it issued? Obama’s White House? Someone else?

2 Likes

Well, the dotard did promise to drain the swamp. Interesting way to go about it.

5 Likes

It’s not shilling to say that not everyone hired by, or associated with a criminal is criminal themselves. Podestra ran a lobbying firm that was paid directly by Manafort (apparently) to do some lobbying. That’s not in and of itself criminal. I have yet to hear that there is any hard evidence that Podesta committed a crime and, until I do, I’ll reserve judgement.

4 Likes

The whole lobbying thing is a cesspool in DC, especially where foreign countries are concerned. When big money is involved, lobbyists forget about little things like the law and patriotism. What makes it worse is many of these folk are former members of Congress who certainly ought to know better.

6 Likes

That must be a mistake. Here’s the one he uses in his bio:

4 Likes

Weber is a scumbag of long standing. Quit a safe seat to rake in the big bucks as a fixer. Remember the blow-up about how dirty hippies booed Republicans at Wellstone’s funeral? And how it didn’t really happen? It was Weber who helped manufacture that lie and coordinate its spread. For-profit colleges screwing attendees who run up horrendous debt and can’t find jobs? Weber’s firm is their lead lobbyist. He’s worth the big bucks apparently. Betsy deVos has just revoked the Obama administration regulation that would have rolled back student debt if they were screwed over.

19 Likes

At the center of the widening probe are Tony Podesta,

Trump: Clearly we need to put Hillary in prison. Do something.

1 Like

Did you check out the suspension reasons.

This user is suspended until March 21, 2045 2:22pm.
Reason: Small-Brained troll never learns. It’s just pathetic now. Sad!
Last post 49 mins ago Joined 53 mins ago

Too awesome!!

6 Likes

So, he’s been suspended from commenting here for just over 27 years? I’m sure he’s counting the minutes until his suspension is lifted. On the other hand, how difficult is it to set up an account with another name and email address?

Sweet Jeebus, this is seriously no small time conspiracy. There is an entire infrastructure of scum/douche bags, henchmen, collaborators, front men and mob goons.

Podesta may or may not have humped the housecat here? If he did, then off with his head as well but his 20 degrees of separation from Trounce’s and the Republican’s criminality does not in any way diminish what the right wing is from top to bottom.
A crime syndicate that are either actively participating or actively enabling. Blanket guilt is foist upon them.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available