Discussion: Mitt Romney To Speak Thursday On 'State Of The 2016' Race

Discussion for article #246779

1 Like

What? Mittens was NEVER the de facto head of the GOP. What is this supposed position of authority he seems to be assuming?

21 Likes

Please proceed agan Gubna! I’m sorry that never gets old to me

22 Likes

Who else? He was the last nation-wide nominee. Maybe Paul Ryan? What’s he done? Mitch McConnell? The obstructionist turtle?

Maybe the GOP really has no leaders, and that is why the infants are free to play.

11 Likes

Yes, he was the last national GOP contender (to lose the WH) and after it was over, he kinda sank into the woodwork. At least, outwardly so it seemed. he had very little support either from the base or from other Rethugs. But NOW he’s some kind of Republican Party mandarin?

Why not…

3 Likes

So… Mitten proceeds to present himself as a trump against Trump?

Doesn’t feel like it ever works even before it begins…

8 Likes

If he gets in the race he’ll only succeed in making it harder for Rubio and Kasich while making the math much easier for Trump.

I guess he could just be planning to scold GOP voters into backing away from Trump? Doesn’t he understand that he’s the last person on the planet they’re going to listen to? Doesn’t he realize that his loss, his equivocation is the very reason why they’ve abandoned the establishment for Trump?

27 Likes

I was wondering if he was going to run third party - giving the establishment R’s someone to vote for - and perhaps its his version of saving the Senate in those swing states…

Not sure how he fits into the current primary, unless he thinks he’ll take away Cruz votes? Not going to happen…

Prepare yourselves, the Master of Gaffes intends to speak!! One can only begin to feel sorry for this tone deaf fool…

3 Likes

Yeah unless he’s massively delusional about his influence over R voters (he may well be), I don’t know what he’s trying/hoping to accomplish by inserting himself in the mess (I had this same reaction when he attacked Trump about his tax return… and you are the last guy to attack anyone about his or her tax return!).

12 Likes

“It’s time for the GOP to unite around a unity candidate that has a chance of winning a general election. Three years ago, there was a man who came very close to beating Barack Obama in an election. That same man can beat Hillary who is not as good of a politician as Obama is. I’m here to announce that if the party asks it of me, I will be willing to step in and be the compromise candidate of the various factions that are dividing our party and keeping us from focusing on the true existential threat that is Hillary Clinton.”
-Excerpt from Mitt’s speech tomorrow.

2 Likes

The former Massachusetts governor is scheduled to address “the state of the 2016 presidential race” at the University of Utah, according to a statement.

How are those Mormon postmortem baptisms of Jewish Holocaust victims coming along, Governor?

8 Likes

Whatever he does, he’ll top out at 47%.

16 Likes

… and the other logical possibilities among the ®’s, such as the two you mentioned, have no intention of sacrificing their political fortunes. “Profiles in Courage-iness” as Josh wrote yesterday.

Albert Brooks had a good comment in the times yesterday about how Trump is to the establishment like the loud ranting crazy person on a subway is to the other passengers. The other commuters want him to shut up and leave… but none of them want to be the one to confront him about it, lest his ire be turned in their direction. That’s perhaps understandable when you’re getting off the subway in two stops anyway… a little more contemptible when something this big is at stake

5 Likes

It’ll go something like this:

2 Likes

Trumps poll numbers will go up. Does anyone really want him to speak or do they see no other options left for them?

1 Like

Wow. The Republican Party has a very deep bench… of super-sized egos.

7 Likes

Imagine the bubble Romney inhabits. In his mind, the better man lost in 2012 because The Media was against him and because Chris Christie betrayed him.
In his mind the last 4 years have been a disaster for the country. People regret their mistake in not electing him (at least that’s what his kids are telling him). Out of a sense of patriotism and deep unselfishness, he will offer himself up and this time he will be treated as a returning hero.
Pass the popcorn.

15 Likes

Will Mittens float a trial ballon for run number 3…?

3 Likes

Albert Brooks is writing for the Times now? Why is it so un-funny?

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available