Discussion: Mitch McConnell Takes Credit For Economic Turnaround

Oh Chuck Todd, Wolf Blitzer ad nauseum must be positively glowing right now. Because their false equivalency of the week as to who is responsible for the economic recovery has been handed to him on a silver platter. And they will likely play that card instead of dealing with actual facts.

5 Likes

So McConnell if gas prices suddenly spike or economy suddenly blips downward or job numbers tank …people can blame you …right?? right??

6 Likes

And of course let’s not forget just who was in charge when the economy tanked last time.

5 Likes

That was Obama’s fault too, you know.

2 Likes

I was snarking the person that you were responding to. If we’re proposing a party of ideologically pure, free of blue dogs, and hew closely to the progressive wing of the party, we become tea party-left.

4 Likes

The Democrats are ridiculous. They fled from the president and his policies during the midterms. Democrats are always reacting, never leading. Of course, the GOP is morally bankrupt. Rewriting history and massaging the facts are what they do, but it’s way too late for the Democrats to take any credit for the president’s policies.

6 Likes

Was also mirroring the tea party strategy from previous elections. We lost because we weren’t sufficiently conservative.

2 Likes

It demonstrates the shallowness of, not only their understanding of the economy, but their understanding of cause and effect in general: “Something happened and something else happened, so one caused the other, because I want it to be so.”

Like I read somewhere, Obama should have let things go straight down the toilet before doing anything. That way there’d be no way the Republicans could say what Obama did didn’t help…ha ha ha ha ha I’m funnier than Mitch McConnell…

Exactly as I predicted, with one exception. I thought it would take them until January 15 to begin this meme. I was one week too late. This was soooo predictable. We can also expect Fox to begin repeating this over and over again. Its how the Republicans hope to increase their majority and gain the presidency in 2016, and it just might work given the awful showing of the Democrats in the last election. Remember, one day after Obama took office in 2009, the right wing began claiming that Obama had raised taxes on the middle class, and there are STILL many, many people who believe that to be true. Perception is everything, and the Repubs are masters at perception. Truth be damned.

4 Likes

hahahahahahahahahhaha … the same response I have when the DNC left this wide open for Mitch to walk through because they never cemented it in people’s minds and now the talking point is malleable.

3 Likes

I got gas yesterday morning here in central Ohio. At the station (Turkey Hill/Kroger) I normally fuel up, the price for regular unleaded was $1.70. That was at about 8 am. After picking up my wife from work, we stopped at the same store to pick up a few things. The price had jumped 39 cents to $2.09. That was around 6 pm.

The Republicans formally took control of the Senate yesterday. Coincidence? I think not.

Thanks, Mitch, this is your fault.

5 Likes

I thought Bush did the Wall Street Bailout, then Obama did the stimulus. Speaking of which, remember when every R only referred to it as “the failed Obama Stimulus”. So Mitch, are you taking credit for success or failure?

We can all play this game; obviously then the recent drops in the Dow coincide with the new GOP majority’s assumption of power.

12 Likes

I see McConnell took his marching orders from Karl Rove.

Dems won’t… so why not ‘take a stab at it’. I hired two engineers last year… I want some cred too b’tches.

My booze-hazed recollection was that the bailout happened right before Obama was sworn in and I thought the transition teams had more or less convinced Bush to enact the bailout. I thought that was followed up by the Obama stimulus which wasn’t as big as economists had hoped. This isn’t to be confused with the Bush stimulus where everyone got back $300 or something.

2 Likes

Here’s to hearing a LOT more like that from ya in the next 2 years, Mo!

So utterly delusional. OR. So utterly dishonest. Take your pick. I say they are not mutually exclusive.

1 Like

Well, in fairness to Mitch, he knows that from a historical point of view, the only way he can talk about economic good news in the same sentence with “Republican” is to liberally apply a lot of smoke and mirrors. Their economic policy proposals are old, tired and fundamentally unsound. Their focus on ‘trickle-down’, cutting taxes and starving infrastructure now has a track record almost a century long that proves conclusively that the country suffers whenever Republicans hold the reigns of the economy. (see: http://goo.gl/og7vxs)

My favorite stat is this: If starting in 1929 you had left $10,000 invested in S&P stocks during only Democratic administrations your investment would have grown to over $300,000. If you had the same $10,000 and left it in S&P stocks during only Republican administrations your money would have grown to $11,700.

The Republicans don’t care about the overall good of the economy. Their economic focus is and always has been doing good by their ‘doner class’. The fact that they can convince so many voters to ignore their own economic self interest and continue to vote for Republicans is a sad commentary and only proves that Bull Shit works.

4 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available