Discussion: Medicaid Directors From Red And Blue States Reject Graham-Cassidy Repeal

He knows more than the Orange Menace!

Mid term elections never get the same turnout as Presidential elections. It’s got nothing to do with what you’re talking about I don’t believe.

Frankly we need a litmus test. Cory Booker is a non starter for me. For me there are no questions about Booker, he is everything that I despise about the party. I don’t want to vote for someone I’m almost sure is going to sell me out but doing it because he/she is the lesser of 2 evils.

We don’t have time to fuck around with the same ole, same ole. This country is almost finished. Imagine the Fall of Rome with 10 times the population, with an incredible amount of weaponry out there, with zero national unity. What is coming is beyond the understanding of most of the people on this board.

Mark my words, when teh economy collapses you will be shocked at how quickly this all unravels, and how ugly it will be. We won’t survive it.

Bring up “lesser of two evils” and we are done with this conversation.

There will never be anyone pure enough to meet your standards, or hysterical enough to align with your sense of urgency.

And that’s the problem with people like you, darcy, georgeg and a few other regular commenters here. It’s not your principles; I think we all agree on those for the most part. It’s your tactics. You attack any sign of acccommodation or moderation, even those necessary to capture the broad public. You want it all, and you want it now. And you are so willing to jump on a bandwagon of outrage that you alienate the broad constituency that are your natural allies.

Just as we should not normalize the insanity of Trump, we should not normalize this tendency to smear moderate and left-of-center Democrats for some violation of assumed purity.

6 Likes

Taking money from Wall St and Corporate swells to do their bidding isn’t a minor derogation of principle. I’m tired of “Democrats” who accommodate Wall St…they’ve gotten plenty of accommodation, including from, but not limited to, the last Democratic administration.

I won’t vote for a moderate Democrat. Yes another Republican will destroy the country, but that’s coming anyway with the current status quo, of which the current moderate Democratic party is part and parcel.

I won’t vote for collapse on the installment plan.

McCain is a “no”. It’s dead, Jim.

2 Likes

Bring a couple bread bags and put them on your feet when she starts shoveling it. It would help if over half there would do the same. I’m sure she would get the meaning. You would not have to say anything. I’m sure the local press would be amused.

3 Likes

You know, when I was a kid, I used to wear bread bags over my feet when i walked to school in the winter. But we wore them UNDER our shoes, to keep our feet from getting wet. I never saw anyone wear them OVER their shoes, that would be stupid, you’d just fall down from the slippery plastic against ice.

2 Likes

Very familiar story to me here in South Carolina. My mom lasted about 8 years with pension and savings from a nursing career _ Medicaid got us through the last year _ we sold her house and paid back the state - she basically broken even after working to 65 and living to 90. Will the voters accept a dismantling of Medicaid? What are the lower income elderly going to do? There will be a lot of medication “accidents” - ie, suicides.

1 Like

Doubt that he’s a Democrat.
But put your money on him for being a whiny horse’s ass.

1 Like

“We were raised to live simply, not to waste. It was a lesson my mother taught me every rainy morning,” Ernst said. “You see, growing up, I had only one good pair of shoes. So on rainy school days, my mom would slip plastic bread bags over them to keep them dry. But I was never embarrassed, because the school bus would be filled with rows and rows of young Iowans with bread bags slipped over their feet. Our parents may not have had much, but they worked hard for what they did have.” - Joni Ernst

She also told a version where they slipped on bread bags before going out to the barn for chores. I was raised on a farm, we always used rubbers or rubber boots which could be hosed off.

1 Like

I live in a state that created its own exchange. The ACA was passed into law in March 2010. My state’s exchange website went live in December 2013. I know several states got their exchanges running quicker, but there’s one example for you that took 42 months.

The scope of what Graham-Cassidy changes seems even broader than what was involved with state-level exchanges. So yes, 2 years sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Your “anyway” and “lesser of two evils” gives you away as someone who, wittingly or unwittingly, helps the Republicans defeat Democrats.

Your smug, self-satisfied and morally superior attitude of resentment, outrage and grievance has never gotten a liberal elected, has never helped pass a piece of helpful legislation, and has never prevented the reactionaries from advancing their agenda.

5 Likes

In case you see this, good luck and I’m glad you’re going. You’ve probably already edited this, but if you want your point to come across clearly and just as importantly to be heard by other constituents as well as your Senator, you’ll need to rework it so they don’t shut down on the third sentence.

Something like,

I have two questions, one for you and one for Chuck Grassley. But he hasn’t done a public meeting in this county in 6 years. Thank you for giving your constituents this opportunity to discuss this issue with you, one many of our lives depend on.

I wrote a lot of letters for Amnesty International in my younger years. I’d almost always write two drafts, the “what I think and feel” version and the “getting results” version, lol. Basically I’d edit out anything that I thought would shut them down and replace it with an appeal to their better nature, whether or not I privately thought it existed. Lot’s of “I’m sure that now that you know this prisoner that was arrested in your jurisdiction is missing, you will do everything you can to locate him and facilitate contact with his lawyers and his family”, knowing full well that this dude was almost certainly responsible for the disappearance. Amazingly, this kind of thing can work.

I’m not saying don’t be angry, I’m saying that sometimes it’s more effective to direct the anger just sideways of the actual target so they don’t just throw up their defenses and not hear you.

Anyway, your story is compelling and I hope you get a chance to tell it.

4 Likes

“Look at the actual charge the Consumer Law Section wanted Harris to file in the OneWest case: a civil enforcement action. Though he was OneWest’s chairman, Mnuchin was never at risk of indictment or conviction. At best, California would have extracted a decent-sized fine from the company—paid for by shareholders.”

2 Likes

That’s a good edit. It was an extreme struggle for me to write that without lashing out (much).

4 Likes

As I said, at least two versions! I envy people who can do this automatically. I’m not one of them.

Really? We havent’ been close enough to power to do anything. We’ve been forced to vote for the lesser of two evils. Kept at arms length…the dirty fucking hippies.

Hows that working out? And you want more of the same. You are the definition of insanity.

Good luck with Cory fucking Booker and his Wall St cabal.

Your comment deserves to be repeated—and regularly—for being the absolute Dog’s Honest Truth.

I wish I could like it a bazillion times.

2 Likes

From 2009 - 2010 we had Congress and the White House. We did a lot. I want more of that.

Maybe you disagree.

I don’t know what you think I want, and at this point I don’t care. You’re commenting on a page about opposition to the latest ACA repeal bill with rants about hippies and moderate Dems.

5 Likes

Look at Cassidy’s face. He must have just heard what McCain was going to do.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available