Discussion: McCaskill’s Plane Problems Continue As Conservative Watchdog Requests Probe

…?

I don’t see how I’m obligated to make any comment whatsoever on Hawley in a discussion of what Claire McCaskill has or hasn’t done. I don’t need to make a comparison to whatever taxpayer money Scott Pruitt has wasted on bogus security mumblemumble, either.

Not every single statement ever needs to have a “…but don’t forget Republicans did X ten times worse!” attached as a postscript.

Even though I support Senator McCaskill’s re-election bid, I have no problem with all our representatives being held accountable and to the highest standards. I look forward to reciprocating when the Democrats take over the House in 2019.

2 Likes

Maybe “rabid dog”??

2 Likes

That’s your issue? It doesn’t surprise you that they’re investigating her and not Pruitt or Ross or Mnuchin or…

But I see where you’re coming from. $200-freaking-dollars. Wow. Go after that $200. Pay the taxes on that. It will be about $14. The investigation, $20 million. The stupidity of all conservatives? Priceless.

5 Likes

I’m having trouble caring. If you own a private jet, it’s pretty much guaranteed you’re part of The Problem.

Claire has to do all her campaigning on weekends since McConnell is keeping the Senate in session through August. She’ll do 8 events on a Saturday, which is difficult if you’re driving around the state. This is just part of the ploy to keep her from campaigning because their candidate is weak.

4 Likes

It’s not over $200. She CLAIMED $0-$200 in net income. They claim 40,000 miles of travel would equate to a whole lot more than that. At the end of the day, if they’re full of shit, she should invite the investigation, provide the documents that exonerate her and then shove the entire thing up the GOP’s ever-expanding bunghole. If she does anything other than that, she’s a fucking idiot.

6 Likes

I hate conversing with paid Republican trolls. Erik, you’re too cheap to even buy a subscription to TPM. Yet you spend every minute commenting against liberal causes on a liberal newssite. I have no patience for your kind.

Obviously these “geniuses” in the Conservative Watchdog group know nothing about accounting and taxes.

1 Like

The $200 is a threshold value above which the reporting requirements are different, not an alleged specific profit on McCaskill’s part.

You can read the text of 5 USC App 102 §102, which I was going to quote but it’s long and wordy and not particularly illuminating to my non-lawyer self. But there’s a “The source and type of income… which exceeds $200 in amount or value” in there.

Swampy behavior knows no party.

I’ll leave the rest of this aside, but I am proud to support TPM financially, and I won’t let that one slide.

Like, that thing right up there ^-- that says [Prime]? By the username? That means I give TPM money. FYI.

3 Likes

“But her emails” turns into “but her airplane.”

Was it John Stewart who said that the GOP has mastered holding others to standards that they themselves don’t have to meet?

6 Likes

Am I reading this correctly? They are demonizing her over $200?

2 Likes

Maybe so. McCaskill had to pay huge back taxes on the sale of a different plane a few years ago, but the business tax laws are ridiculous in this country. One possible example: her Pilatus PC12 turbo prop cost 0f $5M could be depreciated and deducted over 5 years at $1M/yr. If she did not have rental revenue over $1M/yr, there is not profit (ignoring large maintenance and storage costs).

This is a non-story whipped up by the right wing and caught by major media (e.g., NBC). I wonder how many trips Air Force One has taken to Trump rallies at taxpayer expense?

9 Likes

Because that’s exactly what happens when Dems invite an investigation by the GOP. They’re proven innocent and the GOP let’s it go…

2 Likes

This is exactly how I see it. Her emails, BENGHAZI, I Was Done Targeted By The IRS, and on and on and on. It never works out for Dems no matter how big the load of bullshit might be.

7 Likes

True, but attacking McCaskill for using her own plane to attend more veteran’s meetings is a nothing burger. You could pick something else far more important than this to waste your time posting.

2 Likes

What is frustrating is how good the Republicans and their infrastructure of supporting groups are at making issues out of nothing and making them stick to democratic candidates. Just look at Hillary and her emails. Without the Republicans and a big assistance from the press and their media outlets, it wold never had taken on the significance it did. But they have an entire network of supportive groups, a media infrastructure that operates 24-7 and they are relentless. There is no counterpart in the Democratic party.

4 Likes

I have never know her in the past to manipulate the truth. What is the basis for this belief?

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available