Discussion: Man Who Served 19 Years For Murder He Didn't Commit Dead In Apparent Suicide

Discussion for article #247500

Now this is so sad and tragic, I don’t know whether it is more one than the other. I wish I believe there is a heaven, because he should be there.

17 Likes

There is an uplifting side to it, at least. Here’s a guy who got dealt a series of unbelievably bad hands in the poker game of life, but instead of coming away from it bitter and angry, he dedicated himself to helping people who were also facing long odds.

12 Likes

This makes me so angry. 19 years in prison for a murder he didn’t commit - and then as MisterNeutron points out, he dedicated himself to helping others. Gawd only knows what misery he went through. Fuck!

7 Likes

RIP Darryl Hunt.

5 Likes

My gosh. First, may I say Rest In Peace, Mr. Hunt. With all of the carnival attractions going on mostly on the GOP side, and then to read this very sad story. When I first started reading, I was very angry – but as I got about halfway through, I quickly started tearing up. To think someone in modern-day America has endured what Mr. Hunt did – and not go absolutely berserk is a testament to the human will. Wherever he is now, I sure as hell wish him happiness and lots and lots of joy – he most certainly deserves joy.

Darryl Hunt, I will try my best to remember you and the enduring human spirit you showed us one can have even in the darkest days. May peace be with you. And, thank you.

2 Likes

This underlines how no matter how much money you get for being wrongfully imprisoned, you can’t get your life back.

2 Likes

Darryl Hunt was a much bigger man than I am.

4 Likes

Rest In Peace, my brother.

Thank you so much for leaving your legacy behind, so that it may help and serve others. He could have been selfish and spend all of his awards on himself. Surely he deserved to do so. After all he spent 19 years in prison, when in fact he was completely innocent. How UNJUST! That should have NEVER happen in America! But unfortunately, from what we have learned lately, we have much work to do the make these laws to be applied equally and not targeted to a group of people!

Much love & always!

3 Likes

Thank you for that. I still have a dream that one day in America we will treat our black brothers and sisters with the respect and dignity they deserve . I have a dream

3 Likes

Chammy,thank you so much for your kind words. We The People need to get busy in getting making our dreams for shaping the society that we want to live in, to become our reality. This conservative and racist politics is coming to an end and that is all there is to it!

1 Like

John 16:33 King James Version
33 "These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.”

Terrible tragedy. He endured so many things that would and have driven others to suicide long before this point in his life.
If I’m not mistaken, I believe this gentleman addressed a question to Hillary in a recent Democratic town hall. It had the same facts, 19 years for a crime he didn’t commit, etc

You hit on a great point – and that is how this man who had been so wronged in life – he was unselfish, he set in motion a an organization with damn good goals, among them fighting for those wrongly convicted. There aren’t many out there, and the ones that do exist probably work on shoestring budgets and they’re likely overwhelmed.

Darryl Hunt’s story made me take stock in my own life. His story made me think of Nelson Mandela – pretty similar. They both could have been so angry–and maybe they had their times; I know I would have. I wonder if I’d have had the grace and strength to spin that awful time into good that changed for the better other individuals’ lives and even a nation? I don’t know. All of our stories are so unique and our reactions to events in our lives is what counts. I’m glad to have heard of Darryl Hunt. I wish him well in the next journey.

1 Like

unfortunately there likely isn’t, so we’d better fight to make this a better world while we can.

1 Like

This is why we need criminal justice reform in this country…there is no justice. But we keep voting in the status quo (e.g. republicans or hillary) who will obviously NOT lead on this issue. The notion that Hillary would with her ties to the private prison industry is laughable.

Yes, it’s always all about the awfulness of Hillary. The connection is obvious.

For the reason that you just gave is the reason why we must fight fiercely in taking any action we can to REMOVE ALL JIM CROW LAWS off the books!

In order to do that, we will need a new fucking congress and a Democrat President and US DEMANDING THEY DO IT, NOW!

There is no way in this date and time that an innocent man would be forced to spend 19 years of his life in prison for a crime he did not commit! NO WAY! And just think, Mr. Hunt would still be sitting there had it not been for him having the evidence from the crime scene re-evaluated by comparing DNA. Its just terrible. No one’s spirit should have to experience this awful nightmare in the 20th or 21st centuries!

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available