Discussion: Irving Police Return Ahmed's Clock Days Before Family To Move To Qatar

How could our brilliant and revered Founding Fathers forget to include clocks in the Second Amendment!

3 Likes

All that mindset needs is validation, and it’s gotten it, thanks to republican politicians aided by Fox and really, too much of the MSM.

I think Obama has had just the right attitude about dealing with this cancerous mindset.

I also think Hillary will follow his lead.

1 Like

Thanks for your views. I respect them and agree with a lot of them. But as to your question about whether I have ever been “teased or abused” for my religion, the answer is yes, for both me and at least two of our grandchildren. Their parents’ advice-- walk away if you can. My advice: a fistfight, if necessary. Never again means never again.

1 Like

Well it’s about time

I understand that and tho I am not Jewish I’ve had to take that tact. One time it was in middle school. We were walking in line to gym class and a kid was hassling me. I unloaded on him and it happened in from of the Principal who’s office door happened to be open. He saw the entire episode from front to back. He said he understood why I had decked my transgressor (not bad for 13 yrs old) but I had to be punished for the fight which I accepted because he had offered a modicum of respect my way. I can remember detail of what happened even tho it’s 53 years ago.

What does “plenty safe” mean? That you won’t actually be killed? If that’s the bar, it’s set pretty low. The level of enmity for Muslims in this country is disturbingly high, and even if that only results in dirty looks and nasty comments, rather than actual bloodshed (which certainly happens as well), calling the US “plenty safe” for Muslims is remarkably short-sighted. Everyday law-abiding hardworking Muslims are being unfairly and unnecessarily vilified in this country in much the same way Jews were denigrated in Germany in the 1930s – as the source of all evil, as the root of all problems.

2 Likes

So why did you “unload” on him? Was it a personal attack that prompted your retaliation? Had he been on your case for a long time, or was he attacking you for your inclusion in an established larger group? Just curious, darr, not disputing you at all.

And I know a number of Canadians who choose to do it in the US

He had been on my case for a while. It was not due to religion tho it could have been. It was ethnicity (al least from my point of view). My opponent was newly arrived from England and was upper class. My family came from Ireland as he found out and proceeded to hassle me about it
frequently. In the early 1960’s when we had our dust up there was considerable animosity between some in N. Ireland and the English. Even though I was born in and lived my life in America it did not matter to this kid. I tried the “walk away” tactic 
 more than once. After our altercation he for some reason decided I wasn’t really responsible for the troubles in N. Ireland.

2 Likes

Whatever cleans your clock.

Terrific.

Well, we must be living in different countries. American Muslims live perfectly normal lives - and fortunately so - in most of America. Of course, there are bigots and dangers, and the need for “eternal vigilance”, but there is no predominantly Muslim country in the world where Muslins live safer, more politically free lives than here in the USA. And one suggestion: don’t say that the bigotry found in some places in the US against Muslims is like the Nazi government’s treatment - murder, genocide - of the Jews. That cheapens your argument and loses support for it.

So true. And, as the National Explosive Timekeeping Device Association reminds us often, the best way to stop 50 bad guys with guns is one good guy with an explosive clock.

3 Likes

It only cheapens my argument with someone who is blind and deaf to what’s actually going on in this country. Where do you live? Nebraska? Iowa? Kansas? Hawaii? Alaska? If you live in any urban area in the continental United States, it is absurd to suggest that, because Muslims face greater dangers elsewhere in the world, they are thus free of acrimony and persecution in the United States. I have rarely heard such a specious argument outside the right-wing blogosphere.

And, as a Jew who lost an entire side of his family to the Holocaust, I suggest you not speak of things about which you seem to have a severely limited understanding. I said “Germany in the 1930s.” It wasn’t until July of 1941 that Hermann Göring instructed Reinhard Heydrich to submit plans “for the implementation of the projected final solution of the Jewish question.” None of which got underway until 1942. So your reference to genocide is counterfeit.

Moreover, you apparently believe that similarities to other historical persecutions are unfounded until millions are dead. That is a bizarre way to honor the burden of “Never forget.” Or are you one of those silly Jews who believes no one else has ever been persecuted other than the Chosen people?

“I swore never to be silent whenever and wherever human beings endure suffering and humiliation. We must take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.” – Elie Wiesel

According to Wiesel, you are a silent collaborator.

3 Likes

Yes, by all means, let’s send our brightest minds to Qatar.

1 Like

He also needs to wrap bacon around the muzzle like a certain Texas senator.

2 Likes

When I was Ahmed’s age in the early 70’s I would bring my crystal radio kit from Radio Shack as well as a transistor kit from the local hobby shop to my school in our suburban Rockafeller Republican town north of NYC. Yes, they had wires dangling out of the box. None of the teachers gave it much thought that these could have been dangerous devices at a time when the Weather Underground and other radical groups were regularly setting off bombs across the country. They trusted us. I would also build models but the clerk at the local hobby shop or Woolworths would not sell me the glue because the darn hippies would huff it and they did not allow sales to youth.They told me to bring my folks in and they would sell it to them. Maybe there was just more discretion, the public was less afraid, no 24/7 news cycle with its breathless melodrama and we just laughed off this stuff as a passing fad in the Nixon era.

5 Likes

Applying right wing logic, that makes the police Muslim jihadist supporters of sharia law. Why aren’t they demanding a full-scale Congressional inquiry?

2 Likes

The father is a publicity hound. And yes, there is a backstory. The story on this site is complete BS.

The police told the family they could pick up this ridiculous thing on Sept 16. The investigation was closed over a month ago. The police have been waiting for him to pick it up. Ahmed has said he has been too busy traveling. So the police did not “return” the clock to him today, the family just decided to pick the clock up today and make it a big media event.

http://www.fox4news.com/news/23830931-story

The family preferred to make this a “show”, and even claimed they needed lawyers to retrieve the clock. Complete BS. Even President Obama, who reacted prematurely and invited the kid to the White House, did not even mention it at the Astronomy Night event the kid attended. Funny, the kid had tweeted he could not wait to show the President the clock. Instead, he chose not only not to take it, but not to even pick it up before the White House Astonomy Night event.

1 Like

Boy is that some “suitcase”, what maybe 6 x 5 x 1 inch, wonder what he can fit in it

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available