Discussion: House GOPers Spin Furiously After Dems Appear To Flip Deep Red PA District

I can’t get past the first image of that ad.

And there was one PA voter at least who was quoted in a WaPo article saying he was going to vote Republican until the ads came out.

3 Likes

I may be out of context, not sure now. Note my updates to my original comment.

But yes, I was trying to understand his passing and that is what I keep coming to. On the other hand, I realize there is another equally brilliant person lurking out there as well that we just haven’t caught on to. Likely someone that Stephen inspired along the way, sending them into their own world of greatness one day.

2 Likes

What a lovely thought. Hawking would likely agree.

4 Likes

Beginning to think there should be a rule, no TV personalities for public office.

Except Colbert and Stewart.

2 Likes

Need to repeal and replace Paul Ryan. Rump would sign Democratic legislation just to be liked by someone. Anyone.

1 Like

I don’t believe we’re getting those tax items. I mean, they said if I voted for Clinton, that there would be a taco truck on every corner, and I never got those either. I’m just not going to hold my breath, is what I’m saying.

1 Like

Cue Prince’s “Tonight I’m Gonna Campaign like it’s 1999”:

“They said if they get the majority, their bill will raise taxes, and
they go and double down by jacking up the death tax even more and they
reinstate the Alternative Minimum Tax, which would cripple middle class
families,” he said.

This is all going to go very, very well for them.

1 Like

Denial ain’t just a river in Egypt.

This is great news. If Ryan hadn’t rationalized this away and stayed on the same course, we might be having difficulties come November. Now he’s making the Tom Foley mistake.

Iron Stache is this year’s George Nethercutt. Take Ryan out of our misery. Get rid of him, please, Wisconsin. Take him and the rest of the Scott Walker out of our lives, consign them all to the dustbin of history where they belong, alongside Joe McCarthy.

1 Like

Before y’all start dancing in the streets, remember this guy ran on a platform of less than fulsome firearms regulation and a promise to oppose Nancy Pelosi— who along with Schumer, is the symbol of the bicoastal, liberal, identity driven politics in the Democratic party— and not a whole lot of anti-Trump rhetoric. Maxine Waters and Jerry Nadler are not going to have a lot in common with this guy, but it is going to take a lot of candidates like him to put a Democrat in the Speaker’s chair come November.

There you have it. Leave us to our own bodies. Gloria Steinem talked about this vis a vis if men menstruated. National holidays, discounts on products, paid leave from work, etc.

4 Likes

Those tax cuts won’t even pay for the increase in monthly health insurance cost, let alone general inflation.

3 Likes

It’s because of her gender.

4 Likes

Would love to see that. I feel something is going on with Ryan. Yes to all you said about him but he use to have decent political survival chops. He was never the “wonk” he made himself out to be but he could fool enough of the people enough of the time. Now he seems scared. He doesn’t make decisions based on his political self interests. Like letting Nunes run rough shod over the Intel Committee etc. However it happens I will celebrate when he is gone.

1 Like

I doubt they can hold their majorities riding the tax reform wave into and out of 18’ . There seems to be alot of dem ammo at hand

1 Like

If they want to stay in denial, let them. It’s better for us. There were over 110 seats more Democratic than this one held by R’s. They will lose 70 seats in November.

2 Likes

He was a giant among giants, trying to spread love for science and curiosity wherever he could. The heady but somehow (due to his efforts) approachable book “The Universe in a Nutshell” became a core of my personal philosophical beliefs. We are all star garbage.

3 Likes

He might, but he will lose in the primary and be humiliated if he does. Especially if he retires ahead of a big wave election. Republicans will turn on him in big numbers for running away.

But his future political ambitions died the moment he took on the Speaker job. No Speaker has ever gone on to be President, and for good reason. The Speaker ends up owning EVERYTHING that passes while s/he is Speaker. And that pretty much guarantees that everyone has at least one axe to grind with them.

6 Likes

Gotta say the GOP donor base has to be some of the stupidest, most ignorant people in politics. I’m sure a lot of these folks are accomplished in their respective professional fields, but when it comes to politics, the GOP keeps hosing them and they keep coming back for more. Ryan’s spin is really intended at donors. A sensible GOP donor would sit out this election because it’s a waste of money. They got their tax cut. Take it and go.

10 Likes

Had Nickelodeon on TV (grand daughter) and they put up a sign saying they were stopping programing for 17 minutes in support of the young people protesting across the country. I got goosebumps.

6 Likes

For practical purposes, men can end the abortion discussion any time they are willing to change their own behavior: all they have to do is refuse to have sex with any woman who is unwilling to bear a child as a result of that particular encounter.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available