Discussion: GOP Sen.: Fund Clinics With 'Legitimate' Care, Not Planned Parenthood (VIDEO)

“You lie”

2 Likes

Republican Dictionary:
le·git·i·mate
adjective: legitimate
ləˈjidəmət/

1. conforming to whatever I say it does.

verb
verb: legitimate; 3rd person present: legitimates; past tense: legitimated; past participle: legitimated; gerund or present participle: legitimating
ləˈjidəmāt/

1. make legitimate; justify or make campaign donations from.

Want to know why you are behind in the polls for 2016 Sen Portman? Only 40% of Ohioans support defunding while 52% want it to continue.

The overwhelming majority of federal funding to Planned Parenthood comes from Medicaid — 75 percent, according to a Planned Parenthood spokesman.

What are these alternate “Community Clinics” so often cited by the GOP as places to shift PP money to? The truth is they look like this:

1 Like

75% of the money Planned Parenthood receives from the Federal Government comes from Medicare reimbursements. (source)

That’s fees for services rendered, and none of those services were abortions: the Hyde Amendment prevents using Federal dollars for that.

So, would Senator Portman prefer that Planned Parenthood performed these services pro bono?

Or, to put it another way, would Senator Portman throw out the 97% of the health care services Planned Parenthood provides because of the 3% he has an objection to?

1 Like

The services are provided to WOMEN. Nuff said.

2 Likes

It’s their ‘tip of the iceberg’ operation. They think if they can accomplish that, then they will try defunding every community health center across the board.

1 Like

At least the media points out such things in order to keep us all informed…

Oh wait, the CTodd rules state that isn’t their job…

1 Like

How stupid are you when you continue to site a video that wasnt even real or factual? Its like citing Goldilocks and the Three Bears as a reason to kill bears.

5 Likes

BS. Where ARE these mythical clinics? This is crap. Hospitals are closing. Rural doctors don’t do ‘women’s issues’. Kiss it Rob…PP has picked up the slack which is WHY they have funding.

1 Like

Portman is simply following the party guideline: Find something that gets attention, and make up the argument and statistics to fit. Truth is a seldom heard, and usually misused word in the GOPer world.

“I think it’s worth continuing to fight to defund. Taxpayer dollars
should not be going to Planned Parenthood,” he told Fox host Neil
Cavuto. “I think our legislation makes a lot of sense. It says, not only
do you not send taxpayer dollars to Planned Parenthood, but those tax
dollars instead go to community health centers — there are a lot more of
them than Planned Parenthood clinics; eight times more in the state of
Ohio for instance — and they can provide the women’s health needs that
are legitimate, that are needed.”

Where did you get your medical degree sir? Did your law degree provide you with the medical expertise to decide what health care is “legitimate”? What if your vaunted “community health centers” choose to provide abortions on demand with the private party paying?
Do you know what health services PP provides or are you being deliberately obtuse? I think the latter.

1 Like

Poor choice of wording in using “legitimate!” Todd Akin on line 1 for Sen. Portman!!

1 Like

“Hey, it worked on ACORN, why not give it a shot?”
So this is an ongoing thing now? Fake videos to defund programs the R’s don’t like?
In the mendacious/ stupid debate, I rate Rob Portman (R-OH) mendacious.

1 Like

Did anybody ask him to define “legitimate care?”

He’s a politician and this is politics, not reality so he can say any frigging bit of lying bullshit he wants and nobody is gonna call him on it. Certainly not the media.

edit

And of course there is no war on women.
Why is it that the favorite place for a GOPer to car camp is in a woman’s uterus? If the proverbial shoe were on the other foot and there was a “Planned Fatherhood” nonprofit that dealt mainly with men’s health issues … prostate exams, testicular cancer etc and the state came along (in the form of a panel of women) and said “Ewww!!! Prostate exams are ICKY!! and we won’t allow 'em anymore cuz my made up chart says there’s no such thing as prostate cancer” how would you feel, lawyer Portman? Would you say “Git yer fingers outta my prostate!! Why are you insisting you can camp there”??? Have you thought for even a moment what it means… no you haven’t … why do i even bother…
Trying to talk reason to a GOPer is like asking that there be logic from a box of rocks.

1 Like

He’s a politician which I guess in GOPerland gives him medical expertise.

Exactly! And women choose Planned Parenthood because it is trustworthy and compassionate care, not the judgmental or misleading clinics set up by RWE. Planned Parenthood is the care provider of choice of these women and the government–if the RWE have their way—would obstruct the access to healthcare of millions of women. It’s as simple as that.

I’m really unhappy that TPM hasn’t covered (or did I miss it?) Elijah Cummings’ 8-minutes of shaming the committee’s GOP members and the producer of the phony Planned Parenthood videos. The Democrats are not going to allow an ACORNing of PP.

Elijah – can we clone him a few dozen times?:
http://www.c-span.org/video/?c4552991/elijah-cummings-planned-parenthood-investigation

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available