Discussion: GOP Rep On Vaccines: An 'Oppressive State' Shouldn't Tells Us What To Do

Can TPM do some research and maybe call CDC or some research outfit that could provide information about the where and who in terms of how past pandemics effected the US population? Who was getting killed by measles? Where did they live? Are there any historical demographic trends to the way a pandemic shakes down in the population? Is it dense, inner city, close-quarters populations or rural, sparse populations that get hit worst? Questions like those.

I posit there are some blatant observable trends in the historical data (as suggested by my loaded question above)ā€¦but I admit to not knowing (and to believing you have a responsibility to investigate and tell us)ā€¦and I think the GOP/Teatrolls salivate over the prospect of a recurrence of such pandemics for all the reasons those trends would suggest. Whatā€™s more, I want that data at my fingertips to flagellate them with those trends and what they suggest about the ulterior motives of their anti-vaccine idiocy when they say stupid shit like Randroid or this Duffy asshole are saying.

3 Likes

And the battle to repeal the 20th century continues.

9 Likes

These people are selfish to the point where they feel no responsibility to society or anyone outside of their own families.

If they really feel like that they should live somewhere on their own. They apparently donā€™t even like the idea of society. If you live in a community in a country and you want all the advantages that entails then you have a the responsibility to do right by others.

Also, is talk about vaccines and ā€œvaluesā€ is pretty scary talk.

We really need to get our country on the fast track back to reason.

6 Likes

It doesnā€™t matter to these cretins as long as itā€™s not their kid. Selfishness is the order of the day in todayā€™s GOP.

4 Likes

OK, enough is enough. I am coming around to the idea that these people should be imprisoned and vaccinated against their will.

3 Likes

[quote]ā€œI know my kids best. I know what morals and values are right for my children. I think we should not have an oppressive state telling us what to do.ā€[/quote]If preventing the spread of communicable disease is incompatible with your ā€œvaluesā€ you are unfit to be either an elected official or a parent.

7 Likes

I disagree. I think it matters very much to them. A measles outbreak in the inner city or other densely populated minority-heavy areas, where people have no health care because the GOP/Teatrolls destroyed the ACA, is just the kind of thing that has them excited as a ā€œfinal solutionā€ to the kinds of numbers the census has been showing for the past couple decades.

2 Likes

Parachutes, life jackets and helmets conflict with my values. And I greatly value stupidity.

2 Likes

It is at least equally valid to state watching Fox News causes onset of adult autism.

2 Likes

If itā€™s Ebola, then the GOP rages about the threat to national security and President Obamaā€™s culpability, but if itā€™s homegrown measles, then suddenly itā€™s a small-government issue and parents have the right to make decisions that endanger the rest of us.

7 Likes

These types donā€™t want the HPV vaccine for their kids. I think thatā€™s where the ā€œvaluesā€ crap comes into play. And, you arenā€™t well read just because you read conspiracy theory BS on the internet all day.

8 Likes

Fine, then our right as a society is to ban you and your children from public school an other public places. So there.

8 Likes

You make an excellent point. Iā€™ve had similar thoughts. But. Iā€™d suggest that this anti-vax view, now being expressed by so many Republicans, is not really anything new. Iā€™m reminded of the anti-fluoride campaigns that have been on-going since the 1950ā€™s. The anti position originated with the John Birches and , really, many of todayā€™s Republicans are simply new versions of the Birches.

7 Likes

Oops, omitted there ā€œerā€™ā€ FROM BIRCHERS sorry

and what was jose diaz-balartā€™s response to that comment? i caught one of the reporters calling him out for describing this latest hoohaw as a ā€˜debateā€™ ā€“ when the science is very clearly established. there is no debate.

and just heard tamron hall say that autism via measles vaccine is ā€˜unprovenā€™ā€¦

by the time this is over, the anti-vaxxers numbers will have increased.

1 Like

Science,facts, reality have no place in this discussion. If a Dem (particularly the usurper) holds a position, the diametric opposite of that is the only position these asses are able to support. Observable, measurable facts have no place here.

Their only value/belief is: if the other is for it, it is an absolute evil which must be completely opposed without question.

3 Likes

Sean, youā€™re SEVEN kids arenā€™t vaccinated?

ā€œI know my kids best. I know what morals and values are right for my children. I think we should not have an oppressive state telling us what to do.ā€

Only a Republican lawmaker could make the argument that a sound, indisputable, benign science like vaccines is open to a moral/values based discussion.

8 Likes

Duffy. Hates ā€œoppressive stateā€ when it comes to vaccinations. But loves to use it to force a woman to take a trouble or unwanted pregnancy to term. On, Wisconsin :fu:

10 Likes

Yes. We should not have an oppressive state telling me that Iā€™m not allowed to beat the shit out of idiot Congressmen.

8 Likes

ā€œI vaccinate my kids on most things, but then there are some things where Iā€™m like, ā€˜This may not work for me and my values and my family,ā€™ā€ he said.

OK, when can we expect to see the list of your childrenā€™s vaccinations?

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available