Discussion: Florida Gov. Refuses To Extend Voter Registration Deadline Over Hurricane

1 Like

You know it makes you think, given that the hurricane is predicted to make landfall in the most solidly democratic counties in the state, if Matthew was coming in from the Gulf of Mexico there would not have been a different decision.

Refusing to extend voter registration regardless of a potentially catastrophic hurricane is the lowest of the low road. You craven SOB.

25 Likes

Ya Republicans that Democracy shit is so inconvenient . The voters might elect the “wrong people”
This guy shares the lack of compassion and empathy that seems to be the Republican trademark.
My favorite was yesterday as the Medicaid denier said his first concern about the storm was saving lives . If they die because they can’t afford health care .
Too bad so sad.
I hate him the the intensity of 1000 suns

14 Likes

“Everybody has had a lot of time to register,”

‘given that it’s hurricane season they should’ve taken that into account and planned for it… too bad for them’ Scott continued…

12 Likes

I confess that I did not know that excrement could walk and talk until I came across governor Rick Scott. Live and learn.

12 Likes

Aw come on his base of retirees in the Villages and Naples had plenty of time to register. This one tells it all
“Politico reported that a remarkable 86,000 people registered to vote in the last eight days before the deadline in 2012, 40 percent of whom were Democrats, according to University of Florida political science professor Daniel Smith. Only 21 percent were Republican.”

7 Likes

This is heinous. But what would you expect from a guy who denies global warming, forbids state workers from talking about global warming, and yet runs a state that is a poster child for what global warming will do and is already doing?

Heinous all the way through.

13 Likes

I hate him the the intensity of 1000 suns

He is an utterly despicable creature to be sure. How did the people of Florida ever elect such a monster?

2 Likes

Just tell Scott there are Medicare funds to plunder, and he’ll extend the deadline up to the date of the election.

*Edit: The ironic thing is that if we treated white-collar fraudsters like the criminals they are and gave them jail time instead of corporate fines, Scott would be a convicted felon and would have been stricken from the voter rolls in Florida.

12 Likes

This is why we need to take voting in federal elections out of the hands of the states. I see no reason that individual states should be able to contort federal elections (Congress, President) by mucking up registration, limiting voting times, restricting poll access, or any of the other crap they pull. If the states want to screw around with their own legislatures or governor, so be it, but we are electing the President of the United States, not city councilman of Dogpatch.

17 Likes

Man, when they do the right thing in South Carolina, it does leave you looking like the partisan douchebag you are, doesn’t it, Rick?

@reggid has the right idea!

11 Likes

A lame ass Florida Democratic party , a Ruby Red gerrymandered (which has been fixed with a voter initiative ) legislature , gobs of money and and ample supply of the Key Faux demographic Old White People and Rednecks.

The first time the Dems ran Alex Sink an ex Fl CFO zzzzz ( who they buried in negative ads starting months before the election). The second time it was Republican ,turned independent turned Democrat political opportunist Charlie if it’s open I’m running Crist

1 Like

11 Likes

“On top of that, we’ve got lots of opportunities to vote: Early voting, absentee voting and Election Day…”

Right. None of which you can take advantage of if you CAN’T REGISTER TO VOTE.

16 Likes

And yet Pres. Obama signed the emergency declaration to aid Floridians before the storm hit. Note the difference between a Republican who puts politics before the people and helping them and a Democrat who rushes to help the people who need it. Remember that on election day Floridians.

Calling Scott a POS is an insult to a POS.
Scott family photo:

17 Likes

Katherine Harris without the big hair and troweled-on makeup.

6 Likes

Well of course he won’t. Rick Scott, remember, was the CEO of a company that stole $1.8 billion (yes, billion, with a “b”) from the Medicare/Medicaid program. He should be in jail, not the governor’s mansion. Like Trump, he is a man of a single principle: Me.

15 Likes

This kind of thing can come back to bite you. People for some reason resent being denied their most fundamental right in a democracy. I don’t know how Floridians will react to this but when they tried to suppress the vote in Pennsylvania with a voter ID law the groups who knew perfectly well they were being targeted got ready for a huge, organized effort to get everyone the ID they needed and get them registered. I’m confident Hillary’s robust network on the ground is on this.

11 Likes

I was thinking Obama should give Scott and the Republicans in the state legislature 3 conditions in order to get storm aid:

1. Extend Voter Registration
  2. Expand Medicaid
  3. Take a drug test
13 Likes

One question: Does the governor even have the authority to extend voter registration deadlines?

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available