Discussion: Elizabeth Warren Says She's 'Troubled' By Reports Of Obama's $400K Speaking Fee

Darcy has a friend.

1 Like

Ah yes. He should have vetoed the bill placing tighter rules and putting restrictions on predatory card companies in order to block carrying firearms into parks even ones that allow hunting.

I’m sure you would have understood that and not tried to demagogue about credit card regulations President Obama 8 years later.

What a joke.

2 Likes

venetia:

This is not just about President Obama. It is about the whole corrupt system of regulators and elected officials doing the bidding of the corporate lobbyists and then leaving the public sector for high-paying positions in the corporations that they were regulating as payback. It is quid pro quo, and it happens all the time. It is one of the big reasons that we live in a oligarchy, and government doesn’t work for the people any more.

Being paid $400,000 for a speech is payment for services already rendered. I don’t know why it is so difficult for people to understand this. It is pocket change relative to the billions of taxpayer dollars in bailouts Obama gave to the banks, and a tiny price to pay for not being prosecuted for financial crimes.

It isn’t about race. The Clintons and Bushes collected their paychecks, too.

Yet, you don’t think people should be angry at this?

Sometimes a little of what they say is reasonable and I’m always open to debate, but pretty soon the lightbulb comes on.

2 Likes

Way too long and fact based for the posturing troll(s).

I give your comment a well earned hrrrrunpf (and a like)

:wink:

2 Likes

Thanks again for a well-structured, just-technical-enough explanation.

1 Like

Courtesy of a fellow TPMer:

Any idea how much she got paid for her last book? I’m not sure what she got in total, but in her 2013 financial disclosures, she indicated that Holt paid her an advance of $525,000. In 2014, $625,000. In 2015, $1,150,000. I don’t think shes filed for 2016 yet. So, in three years a big publishing house paid a sitting U.S. Senator in excess of $2.3 million for delivering what amounts to extensions of some of her floor speeches and campaign literature. I don’t begrudge her for wanting to earn some coin, but she probably shouldn’t be throwing stones from that glass house she’s in. . .

3 Likes

Sometimes, when your answer is “the world isn’t as simple as you want it to be,” you have to show your work.

2 Likes

Good morning LGB. Hope all I see well with you. I knew Darcy would be all over this story. He is so much like a Trump as I said above, thin skinned and juvenile. Be well

1 Like

I would also add that the issue of who actually owns the debt on paper when it goes bad and it was rolled into MBS and some of the entities that hold those MBS are no longer, was and remains one of the problems that unwinding a lot of the bad paper exposed.

2 Likes

Yawn.

(scroll)

1 Like

Rationalization for bad behavior. Whatever gets you through the night.

People in glass houses. I think her comments are very distasteful. Giving fodder to the other side. Dems never fucking learn

2 Likes

darcy’s okay when we go off-topic onto movies or something, but he didn’t write this. Someone else wrote it to me just to show, I think, money flows too easily. Wishing all good things to you as well.

So you think President Obama should have vetoed the credit card bill that was a huge win for consumers because it also contained the guns in parks amendment by Coburn?

Yes or no?

1 Like

With 20/20 hindsight, when an investment scheme is modeled on the way Chapter 7 liquidation works, you should probably stay away.

You invented a quid pro quo and now you refuse to admit your assumptions about other people’s motives might be wrong.

Personally, I think your bribery charge is ludicrous. But you really want to cling to it, and rearrange all other facts around it. I guess you’re surprised everyone else is falling all over you, praising you for your insight. We just think you’re wrong, sorry. It doesn’t mean we’re excusing the banksters. But the way they screwed ordinary folks - heinous and despicable though it was - turned out to be legal, thanks to deregulation during the Reagan and Bush eras. Obama played the hand he was dealt. You’re insisting he should have gone for the inside straight and the rest of us know he would have lost.

4 Likes

This has nothing to do with Obama cashing on the presidency in front of investment bankers.

If the US needs a place to begin building some semblance of bipartisanship… maybe start with how silly your respective bases can be?

Nice try to dodge the question.

You brought up the guns in national parks issue.

So you think President Obama should have vetoed the credit card bill that was a huge win for consumers because it also contained the guns in parks amendment by Coburn?

Yes or no?

Quite dodging.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available