Discussion: DOJ Sues To Block North Carolina's Anti-LGBT Bill

Bravo. This would never happen under a Republican administration!

That’s true. Take Larry Craig (R Minnesota). When Republican men want to proposition people in a public restroom and grope around under the stall dividers, they damn well choose the Men’s room to do that!

Actually Craig was Idaho senator. He got caught in airport in Minesota.

I think folks who have been following this issue realize that this 1-day legislation goes far beyond a “bathroom bill” to allow broad gay and racial discrimination (was there a religious 'free speech discrimination clause also?), and override any local ordinances, effectively making NC a police state.

However, the press (bless their hearts) tends to ignore these tendrils, as does the gov’na, who only expresses it as a “bathroom bill”, which is bad enough, but not the whole story. Unfortunately, most of the public probably see it as just a bathroom bill.

I just heard on NPR radio that the NC gov’na, or spokesperson proclaim in response to the DOJ lawsuit that “these people” are not protected by this “radical interpretation” of the Civil Rights Act and Title IX, which is just plain false. Once again, no mention of the tendril discrimination of this bill.

8 Likes

Man I hope not!
Those types are dangerous in a completely different way. :wink:
(MARVEL’S Agents Of S.H.I.E.LD. fans out there know what I’m talkin’ about!)

jw1

1 Like

Aw, darn.

I so wanted legislation banning gun fanatics from churches because the state has deemed them anti-christian.

C’mon, Loretta. Can’t we? Please?

I’m pretty sure that predators attacking women in bathrooms is already illegal.

Although, I wouldn’t be surprised if the NC legislature made it legal.

1 Like

Anybody see where Pat Buchanan was absolutely livid over the DOJ suing NC? He said, and I quote, “Why can’t the minority get over this?”

He said the same thing about Jim Crow.

3 Likes

The law is focused on gender identity/presentation, not sexual orientation but your point still stands.

The Republicans have done a good job framing it as a “bathroom bill”, because they know those are the only provisions they can actually do some fear mongering around. Of course, the press played right along.

What sucks for them, however, is that the tide is turning against them even on that issue. And it’s had the counter productive (from the Republican perspective) effect of probably hastening gender rights and protections.

2 Likes

First, let me just say GO LORETTA GO!!!

Second, that cartoon is funny because it’s not the other way around, with someone who looks like Jenner getting taunted and ridiculed or even catching a beating upside the head in a men’s room for being a “fag”.

Either way, THAT is what they really want: the humiliation and debasement of these folks by forcing them to live an uncomfortable and alienating lie.

7 Likes

Pat Buchanan’s nearly wet himself with fury that the DOJ is suing the crackers. “I was at Dr. King’s March on Washington and this is vulgar compared to the sublime.”

Course Pat doesn’t say what SIDE he was on at the March; the marchers or the people screaming “ni(CLANG)” at them.

5 Likes

Agree. I shouldn’t cheapen this with comments about gender and race, but I take even more pleasure in the fact that McCrory’s arguments were mocked by a smart, successful, black woman.

8 Likes

I’m not sure, but I thought I heard Lynch mention the North Carolina Middle.

I’m with the DOJ in this fight. These laws are simply despicable and bigoted. Yes, lets the courts decide.

2 Likes

“This is about the dignity and the respect that we accord our fellow citizens and the laws we as the people and as a country have enacted to protect them, indeed to protect of all of us.”

Absolutely!

Don’t let the religious zealot, red necks ruin our country!

2 Likes

True – demons are not human.

Pat is the one that talked St. Ronnie into visiting that cemetery in Germany that held the graves of the Waffen SS. What St. Ronnie didn’t know was that to Pat, it was a family reunion.

1 Like

Pat should do us all a solid and pull a Scalia.

1 Like

Loretta Lynch made what is probably one of the most important human rights speeches since MLK tonight and it is being totally ignored by the main stream media

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available