Discussion: Cruz: Voters Would ‘Revolt’ If GOP Brought In Convention ‘White Knight’ (VIDEO)

“It ain’t gonna happen,” he continued. “If it did, the people would quite rightly revolt.”

Can we shoot them then, even if they’re not black?

1 Like

I wonder how will the media treat White Revolt vs BLM.

2 Likes

They aren’t revolting enough already?

9 Likes

Kochs: Money is free speech and we have plenty of it. If we say Rubio, he becomes the nominee, Cruz is then shipped back to Canada.

2 Likes

Oh that is easy. The Chuck Todds and others: “The White Revolt is standing up for democracy like our forefathers.”
:frowning:

The responsible thing would be to destroy the GOP village this time around to save it.

3 Likes

But if Cruz is right, GOP voters will be just as upset by a Cruz nomination - he’s got far fewer delegates than Trump, and that’s still going to be true this summer, no matter how well he does in the remaining primaries. He can’t have it both ways: either the party respects voter preference, and Trump wins, or there’s a brokered convention and anyone can win.

In the words of Jimmy Durante, “What a revoltin’ development this is!”

interesting concept…

a white knight leads a revolt against the revolting and the revolting in turn revolt…

do they get more than one vote during or after the revolt?

1 Like

Its not Rubio he is alluding to, its Ryan.

And Ryan is definitely playing the game. Precisely the same approach that he used to get the Speaker job. Remember, he claimed repeatedly he didn’t want that…even offered up a list of demands, every one of which was refused. And yet…here he is, Speaker of the House.

Its the twist my little finger strategy.

@ignatius_donnelly

Trump and Cruz are both going to be pushing that Rule 40…that disallows the convention from giving the nomination to anyone who hasn’t won 8 states…stay on the books. That immediately disqualifies someone like Ryan.

My guess is, that rule stays, too. While there is indeed lots of background finagling going on with who the actual delegates are in lots of places, Cruz is winning those fights for the most part and getting his people named.

So while neither one may have the delegates to win outright, combined they have enough to put in place rules to ensure that no “white knight” can emerge, either.

1 Like

He is?

All this time I thought he was Sphincter of the House.

dang!

1 Like

Good points. My own hunch is that the party elders will be tempted to block Trump, figuring the election is lost in any case, and then let Cruz take the nomination (and the heat). Trump would do what he could to hurt them in November, but at least he’ll be outside the party.

1 Like

I think that is entirely possible. If, and they probably will, win on the rules debates, then they will have essentially made it a two man floor fight. If Cruz can keep Trump from getting to a majority in the first two votes, then he can probably count on the establishment delegates going his way instead of Trump’s on subsequent ballots.

Of course, that strategy is dependent upon Trump not winning the first two ballots. Cruz MAY not want to enforce rule 40, to give the illusion to Kasich and Rubio and “white knight” supporters that they still have a chance, so don’t vote Trump on the second ballot.

It all gets pretty dicey with lots of maneuvering and arm twisting going on.

I’m still skeptical that any of this will happen. There hasn’t been a convention since 1940 that went past the first ballot.

But I’m salivating at the prospect - fingers crossed.

2 Likes

Odd choice of metaphor with “White Knight.” Insinuates that there are menacing dragons that need to be slain. Or lizards. Hmm, maybe not such a bad metaphor…

GOP voters already are revolting.

Everyone else will be eating popcorn and watching the show.

Either way it’s a win for us. Either the GOP primary voters get what they want, and they seem to want Drumpf, or they stay home and don’t vote because they get mad.

Either way we win.

3 Likes

@fargo116 …'right’ly being the operative word.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available