Discussion: Congress Will Not Vote On Obamacare Repeal This Week

“We’re still educating members,”

This is hilarious on so may levels.

10 Likes

I suspect some GOPers, like McConnell, would love nothing more than to have this swept under the rug and forgotten completely.

Unfortunately for them, the HFC isn’t going to let that happen. While their seats back home will stay safely GOP, they won’t necessarily stay safely THEIRS. Almost every tea partier in the Congress was elected specifically to repeal Obamacare, and have campaigned on that every election since 2010. They have to have at least a symbolic gutting of Obamacare before 2018. And they have no concern for what McConnell and others like him would prefer.

This is a very real problem for Ryan, as we just saw play out this week. He was forced to go with another CR, because he cannot focus his people on even passing an appropriations bill long enough to get one passed. They spent well over half of their cycles since returning to Congress on trying to figure out how to make an even uglier bill that would mollify the HFC.

Ryan has to do a repeat of that exact same scenario next week. And he also has a debt limit to raise very soon. And more appropriation bills after that. And at some point,they do want to tackle taxes. None of these things can be dealt with as long as the HFC keeps resurrecting healthcare.

What we are seeing playing out, is Ryan is having the last bit of power that the Speaker has, taken from him. He cannot even control what bills come to the floor (we already knew that), but he now also is losing control of even being able to set a general agenda.

13 Likes

The longer they delay the fewer votes they will have. Once this turkey is scored it is all over.

6 Likes

CBO scoring on the amendment to let the states destroy Obamacare mandates would be difficult, it seems to me. Because it is a conditional thing. Should they score it as if all the states apply for waivers? Half the states? And what waivers will they apply for? Etc.

Notice I am not questioning whether the waivers will be granted, no matter how thoughtless the justifications. Maybe ALEC will even put out some nice boilerplate for the states to use to cancel the pre-existing condition mandate, age bands, essential health benefits and other other Obamacare safeguards. I’d bet the’ve got a couple teams working on the wording right now, so the applications will be all ready to go as soon as AHCA passes. And of course they’ll all be instantly rubber-stamped by Trump’s HHS.

2 Likes

It’s an impossible task, because by mollifying the HFC, they turned quite a few “yes” votes from last time into "no"s. And made passage in the Senate impossible as compared to extremely unlikely. I think the threat oof a primary challenge is overblown. The ACA is now not even that unpopular among Republicans.

3 Likes

Well said

With a stick.

1 Like

"We’re still educating members.”

Or, as Chairman Mao would have said, “re-educating.”

1 Like

"We’re still educating members.”

So, your goal is to have a bunch of smart pricks, is it?

3 Likes

How 's it going, Paulie?

1 Like

The Townhalls scared them SO bad they can’t even find the voting buttons on their desks.

4 Likes

I have health insurance through work and do benefit from ObamaCare. However, I am not being jerked around by the repubs like those on ObamaCare and Medicaid expansion. The repubs are so immoral and disgusting. May they rot in hell, if here is a hell.

4 Likes

The House Rs will never bring a vote on repealing/replacing ACA. It’s talk and bluster because it what’s they did for 6-7 years and it’s all they know how to do.

3 Likes

I called my goddamn GOP critter the other day to say this one’s even worse, I vehemently oppose etc. etc. and the poor young woman who always answers the phone just sadly said she’d let him know. I don’t think they’re having much fun in the House these days, and I don’t think it’s much better in the Senate. One thing that’s halfway a pity is that I had a friend who was the head of an agency in Interior under Obama. He’s home now but it would be fun to have his read on the mood in D.C.

3 Likes

Well, they’re teaching them to use the zero rather than just saying ‘more than fingers and toes.’

Where’s Benghazi?

1 Like

In the rearview mirror at all times.

3 Likes

I don’t know about anyone else, but I made an angry call to my GOP rep yesterday…

3 Likes

Ha! Just saw your post. I did the same yesterday.

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available