Discussion: CNN's Don Lemon Mocked For 'Blizzardmobile' Storm Coverage

I’d like to think this is the last of the fear-mongering storm predictions but I’m sure people will insist that it’s better to be safe than sorry. I live in Manhattan and there was absolutely no reason for businesses, buses and the subways to be closed today. Naturally, I appreciate a paid day off for six inches of snow, but I’m concerned about the wussification of a city that used to pride itself on handling tough circumstances. Now it seems the motto of NYC should change from The City That Never Sleeps to The City That Shuts Down At the Hint of Precipitation.

2 days of wall to wall coverage of some snow falling in NYC. No idea what was happening in the rest of the country or the world as far as cable news went. Some news vehicle driving around on empty streets with a very thin coating of snow was pretty boring. Even worse was the poor guy standing out in the snow for hours reporting on…not much.

Shutting down the subway mystified me. When surface transportation is shut down the subway seems like the ideal answer to help workers get around. Wasn’t the blizzard of 1888 the reason the subway was built in the first place?

When I lived in Calgary as a kid the only time school closed was when we couldn’t see more than a couple feet in front of us during a blizzard. Since we all walked to school – about 10 -11 blocks from where I lived – visibility was important or kids were lost. We only had one of those kind of blizzards in the three years I lived there as I recall.

If Josh likes Ice Coffee because it is less acidic he should try Indian coffee which is very mild and smooth. The addition of chicory to the Ice Coffee doesn’t seem to make for a smooth drink.

It’s the visuals, lots of 'em, just like the slogan of local news broadcasters, if it bleeds it leads. But over the years pols have fallen out of favor for not preparing for the BLIZZARD!!! so this what you get. But you have feel sorry for the guy accustomed to a comfy studio now out in the elements.

I grew up in NY and lived through snowstorms. I don’t remember school closings, I’d walk there through the snow, and I don’t remember public transportation ever being shut down.

Of course it’s the infusion of caffeine into his system that is the point. I understand that. My preference applies only to me. I wouldn’t dream of seriously criticizing another’s need for ice coffee concentrate. For a humorous reason sure, but not otherwise. Mainly because I have the same caffeine need.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available