Discussion: Browns Player Offers Thoughtful Rebuke After Union Slams His T-Shirt Protest

Discussion for article #231228

I’m a little bit choked up.

The Foxtard Whitesplainer Brigade will, of course, be apoplectic.

58 Likes

Most of America’s football players are worthy of respect, this is just one of them. Kudo’s for speaking his mind.

33 Likes

“To clarify, I utterly respect and appreciate every police officer that protects and serves all of us with honesty, integrity and the right way. And I don’t think those kind of officers should be offended by what I did.”

Oh, snap! That’ll leave a mark.

Would love to see Hawkins debate the head of the police union, but then it would hardly be a fair fight.

44 Likes

Class shows.

49 Likes

That was an impressive, thoughtful explanation of what he did and why he did it. His words completely demolish all stereotypical characterizations of “black thugs” and “stupid athletes.” Bravo, Mr. Hawkins.

52 Likes

Doesn’t sound like a thug does he?

19 Likes

Now if only some white players would do the same thing and show some solidarity. Kudos to this young man

33 Likes

Why would he? Is he in the Mob or a Gang?

3 Likes

They are always apoplectic when a black man speaks intelligently.

18 Likes

Damn. Real people speaking from the heart are so much better than people talking for pay or spouting their side’s catchphrases and talking points.

He just put the union’s smarmy elitism 6-feet under without a trial.

Oh, and he was good, not just real.

32 Likes

OK, class; let’s compare and contrast this statement with that of Cleveland Police Patrolman Union President Jeff Follmer. Which one do you think works better as an argument? Which one do you think better avoids fallacies of logic, such as ad hominems? Which one do you think gives you more information about the incidents that led to the wearing of the shirt? Explain, and offer evidence from the texts.

31 Likes

I dunno…I’m thinking they’ll use the word “articulate” as a giant backhanded compliment vis-a-vis dog whistle code-speak and then move on. His statement is eminently unassailable, even for folks at their level of mendacity. Gotta agree on the tear to the eye…dude said it well.

23 Likes

Maturity. Making a unifying statement, not a divisive one. Brilliant.

17 Likes

Wow. That is quite the response. I really thought this part was a really important point:

“…when a police officer makes a snap decision, it’s literally a matter of life and death. That’s hard a situation to be in. But if the wrong decision is made, based on pre-conceived notions or the wrong motives, I believe there should be consequence. Because without consequence, naturally the magnitude of the snap decisions is lessened, whether consciously or unconsciously.”

Yes, police have to make snap decisions that can mean life and death, but they should also be held responsible for those decisions. With both Rice and Crawford, they made quick decisions without making any attempt to assess the situation and see if their pre-conceived notions were correct. There needs to be consequences for that. There have to be some standards for what is acceptable for the police to do.

28 Likes

I’m really getting tired of police responding to protests by reminding the protestors how they protect them. That is a precisely policeman’s job, regardless of whether the person he is protecting is an avid supporter, or not. Remember the slogan about how these people “protect our freedoms?” One of those freedoms is freedom of speech.

22 Likes

And we all know who else was articulate, don’t we?

Mr. Hilter
http://gnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Hitler-in-England.jpg

5 Likes

I just liked a MrComments post. May we both learn from Andrew Hawkins.

8 Likes

Almost always I post on here to rant against stupidity and hypocrisy. But for once I’d like to post here just to express true admiration for a brilliantly expressed sentiment. Thank you Mr. Hawkins.

21 Likes

because he has a beard!!! and look, look at his scawy hat!!

Seriously though, although Im a Cowboys fan, I could definitely see a Hawkins jersey in my future. Great, eloquent comeback, Mr. Hawkins.

5 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available