Discussion: Benedict Cumberbatch Apologizes For Referring To Black Actors As 'Colored': 'I'm Devastated'

There probably hasn’t been one biographical movie made that is anywhere near accurate, and I know that this one is not either. But Cumberbatch is such a fine actor and Knightley is as well and so it’s a pleasure to watch.

1 Like

The headline should be “Cumberbatch speaks out for equal opportunity for minority actors on Tavis Smiley Show.” The rest is BS IMHO.

3 Likes

Cumberbatch’s portrayal of Alan Turing made me cry more than I’ve ever cried at the movies.

I just realized I have one degree of separation from Alan Turing, who died the same year I was born. I had a professor in college who was Alan Turing’s doctoral advisor.

1 Like

I think Apartheid was an Afrikaner (Boer) policy, not a British policy.

I partially agree. I think words are important, but there’s a difference between words that have always been intended to demean and offend, on the one hand, and words that come in and out of fashion, on the other hand. And also, try speaking as fast as Cumberbatch without occasionally saying something awkward.

1 Like

I caught that!

It occurred to me just a while ago that the NAACP has the word “color” in it. Why does that stand? And does an otherwise well-intended Brit know what’s acceptable at any given moment?

1 Like

As several people have already pointed out here, “colored” was completely polite and acceptable, and it only became disfavored in recent decades in the United States because of an association with the bad old days. I don’t know how the usage has evolved in GB.

Could you explain the “see you next Tuesday”? I’m not getting it.

Yes, I agree, I could have said that better. Had he said “nigger” obviously that would be way out of line, that word has always been derogatory. But when the NAACP ends in “colored people”, it’s a little ridiculous to be taking offense if a guy uses the term. And again, many elderly blacks like the term, so he did not insult “all blacks”. But “nigger” would.

Also, being a colorful person usually is a positive thing. If blacks are colored, that means we whites are colorless. Boring.

1 Like

I know perfectly well the term colored has some negative history attached to it and thus has fallen out of favor. But the NAACP has kept their name intact – I think because it honors the organizations history. Granted, the word is archaic, and odd to our ears, but as spoken by Cumberbatch, in the context of the interview, his intent was clear – the word is benign – and Travis Smiley, the man sitting across from him in that interview, understood that. And anyone who is not willfully obtuse understands that. This should never have become a controversy – except that social media empowered some obnoxious people looking to get off on shaming and humiliating a decent man so they can feel powerful. They have succeeded in extracting an apology from him that some people amazingly applaud. This is manipulation – much more toxic than accidentally using the wrong term.

2 Likes

Yes, it is strange they have kept that name (NAACP). Yet there is outcry for the football Redskins to change their names. Meanwhile there are Native American schools in CA and other places who call their teams the “Redskins”, because many take it as a compliment, some tribes used to paint their faces red before battle. These are all distractions from real issues, but they are good for media hype, and also give people who draw salaries from all these organizations something to yap about. But they serve no useful purpose in actually helping people out.

Screw all you white people coming here griping about “PC B.S.!” You’re only O.K. with political correctness, when it’s convenient for you! You’re the first a-holes to bitch about political correctness, and then take offense when some black person calls you “whitey!” I don’t give a flying F that Tavis Smiley defended this person. Tavis Smiley doesn’t count, because he’s a self-loathing, Uncle Tom, black republican! Most black people can’t even stand Tavis Smiley! Black republicans always defend any form of racism from white people. And, Benedict Cumberbatch is a pig, and is living in the wrong century! Rarely is is just a “mistake” when people of a younger generation use the term “colored.” That asswipe Benedict Cumberbatch probably said it on purpose!

And, to the commenter above who said many blacks aren’t Americans: well a lot white people living in America aren’t American, either! So, shove it!

A lot of white commenters here are showing their white privilege. Let’s get something straight: white people don’t ever, ever, ever, get to decide what is offensive to minorities, PERIOD! It’s doesn’t matter if black commenters say they’re not offended, you don’t get to chime in, and pile on! STAY IN YOUR F’ING LANE! Tavis Smiley doesn’t speak for all black people, and neither do the black commenters here, who say they’re not offended. White people don’t get to use the NAACP as excuse to disrespect a black person, and call them “colored” to their face!

The NCAAP was founded by white people, and white people created the name. Just because the name hasn’t been changed, doesn’t mean it won’t be changed in the future. White people logic: “The NAACP says it’s O.K., and Tavis Smiley says it’s O.K., a few black commenters (out of the millions in America!) say they they’re not offended, so I can get away with it!” “Waaahhh! It’s not fair! Why can’t we turn the clock back, and call black people colored? The NAACP says it’s O.K.!” B.S.! I repeat, white people: stay in your lane!

I doubt many of the so-called “progressives” here who think it’s O.K. to call black people “colored” would be whining about political correctness, if a Native American Indian took offense to being called a “redskin.” All the resident racists here, such as “Mr. Comments,” can go eff themselves!

Actually I could care less if someone calls me whitey, honky, etc. I just don’t give a shit. I matured. I hear it every day here in NYC and could care less. [quote=“FrankNFurter, post:55, topic:16013”]

And, to the commenter above who said many blacks aren’t Americans: well a lot white people living in America aren’t American, either! So, shove it!
[/quote]
That’s exactly MY point. We call them white, not European Americans. Because many are not American, and many are not from Europe. Thanks for making my point. Sheeesh.

Me thinks you might have issues. View yourself as a person, not a black person.

Oh, as to the NAACP, they were not “founded by whites” . Blacks were among the founders too. And blacks run it, so why don’t they change the name if it is so offensive? Serious question.

That is so cool. I go back to punch cards, mainframes and everything since I retired a few years ago.
Turing was one of many who foresaw re-loadable computer programs and what we now call artificial intelligence.
Just awful how he was treated.

Totally agree, besides Tavis Smiley would have seriously but respectfully corrected Mr. Cumberbatch.

It’s a shame that Americans dont know how to apologize and be sincere doing so anymore…I personally find our routine…“I’m sorry if anyone was offended” non-apologies, which is really just blaming people for being offended in the first place, with which we Americans are so routinely and predictably known for, which to me, is far more offensive than Cumberbatch using the term “colored”.

The Apartheid laws were enacted after the Nationalist sweep of the 1948 elections and the Nationalist party was closely identified with the Boers at the time, though it had more than its share of people of predominantly English descent and that share increased over time. The underlying white supremacist policies formalized and structured by the Apartheid legislation were in place when Britain acquired the Cape Colony during the Napoleonic Wars and permitted slavery to go on. After Emancipation in 1833, the British colonial government continued to accept and enforce white supremacist policies all the way up to and through the time South Africa was given Dominion status. Britain never expressed any great concern about it until 1960, precipitating South Africa’s exit from the Commonwealth.

Tried to explain but they ate my comment because I used the word. It’s a twee way to say Cu##.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available