Discussion: Benedict Cumberbatch Apologizes For Referring To Black Actors As 'Colored': 'I'm Devastated'

Discussion for article #232549

Now thatā€™s an apology.

I have a unease with the term ā€˜coloredā€™. My father was born in Southern Arkansas during the Jim Crow era and always referred to himself, or other Black folk, as ā€˜coloredā€™.

11 Likes

I forgive him but then again, Iā€™m not the one he may have offended directly. ā€˜People of colorā€™ and "colored peopleā€™ are taken as two different ways of communicating perspective in todayā€™s lexicon.

In any case, his apology sounds sincere as I read his statement. It helps that he called himself an idiot too for letting his mouth run ahead of his thoughts. Weā€™ve all been there.

9 Likes

This is the ā€œpoliteā€ term my grandmother used to use for black folks. Not that it makes any difference, and what an awesome apology, but perhaps he meant to say people of color.

5 Likes

I would let those that are offended make the decision that they are offended rather than be outraged on behalf of blacks or African Americans or whatever the current PC term of art is currently.

5 Likes

I agree.
I should have written ā€œdirectly or indirectlyā€ā€¦

This is how you apologize for saying something offensive. None of the ā€œIā€™m sorry if anyone was offended by my unintentional blah blah blahā€ that you tend to get from conservative public figures.

4 Likes

This is the first Iā€™m actually hearing about this, but I agree. It would bother me if someone referred to me as ā€œcoloredā€, but my grandfather until his death in 1997 referred to himself and his children and grand children as Negro or colored.

4 Likes

Note to right-wing misanthropic shit-eating weasels: THIS is what a sincere apology looks like.

7 Likes

An actual apology, a gifted actor, and amazing not just only for the first two ā€˜Hobbitā€™ screen credits as ā€˜The Necromancerā€™ā€¦

2 Likes

Oy vey iz mir. But upon reading his apology I tend to believe he is sincere although a bit out of touch

1 Like

Some things with older generations just stick like glue.

1 Like

I was going to use those exact words. The man is talented and gracious.

Iā€™m a little surprised that a younger person used this outdated term. I was born in 1950 and ā€˜coloredā€™ was the polite term to use if you needed to refer to an African American. Personally Iā€™ve had to adjust my vocabulary a few times over the years. Carlin did a bit back in the 70s in which he said, ā€˜Years ago a white person might have a black say, Who you callinā€™ Black?ā€™ Now itā€™s ,ā€˜Hey, who you callinā€™ Colored?ā€™.

2 Likes

people of colour.

3 Likes

He is going to be Stephen Strange! (Doctor Strange for those who donā€™t read comic books)

I didnā€™t realize he was the Necromancerā€¦kinda funny Sherlock got in the same movie with Watson.

And he is amazing in Sherlock.

3 Likes

The Imitation Game was one of the best films Iā€™ve seen this year. And his Sherlock Holmes on PBS was terrific. Of course heā€™s sensitive enough to apologize but where are the apologies from those who use ā€œNigrasā€ without thinking twice.

2 Likes

Iā€™m just not clear itā€™s a firing offense to forget that ā€œcoloredā€ isnā€™t good, but ā€œof colorā€ is just fine.

Seems like a distinction without much of a difference except for those who speak in ā€œcodeā€ and maybe his role as a code-breaker got to himā€¦

1 Like

My late father-in-law whom I donā€™t miss once used ā€œniggersā€ out loud in a restaurant and heads turned. It was very embarrassing for all concerned except him of course.

Anyone watched the 3rd ā€˜Hobbitā€™ yetā€¦Is Cumberbach any more than a few seconds of fog, flame and semi-distorted sound effect in ā€˜5 Armiesā€™? Such a deal, compliments to his agent!

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available