Discussion: Atlanta Woman Fatally Shot By Police While Detained In Back Of Squad Car

Wild speculation here, but let’s try this:

Cop picks up hooker for a little knob slob in the back seat, refuses to pay, she grabs his gun, shootout ensues? haha

Right now this sounds like another instance of unexplained police brutality followed by a tapdancing excuse-fabrication sideshow.

FIFY

2 Likes

Let’s see what surveillance cams and evidence show. For your scenario to be true, the cops would need to jump in the back seat with the body they just shot, and shoot back out using a planted gun, all in the middle of the day right on the street. That sounds unlikely, but we’ll see.

For your scenario, a black woman arrested on suspicion of a felony would have to have been put into a police car without her hands cuffed behind her back. Or possibly a contortionist or an amazing trick shot artist who can shoot seated in a car with her hands cuffed behind her back.

2 Likes

It’s not that difficult for a limber person to slip their restrained hands beneath them and result in cuffed hands forward, not behind.

Strange story, but from the picture it looks like they shot her through the back window of the car. Even with all of the skepticism about police right now, I have a hard time believing they would just use her as target practice through the back window of the car.

1 Like

Yes, that is possible. They may have been way too casual, or were waiting for a female officer to do a pat down. They may have viewed her as not being a threat.

Oh, it might be the other way too, I’m not saying the cops are not guilty. My only point was to wait for evidence before saying “this happened”. All these scenarios are possible. My reply to the hooker thing was that it was pretty silly to think that on a busy street in broad daylight two cops would ask a hooker to hop in the back of the car for a hummer.

1 Like

Or maybe she shot at them through the back window of the car. Could be either. Why not just wait for the investigation? It was broad daylight on a busy street, plus they are collecting surveillance cams, etc.

1. For someone stridently claiming we should wait for the evidence to develop, you sure were quick to assume that hole in the photo was made by bullets flying outward.

2. If you didn’t understand the hooker scenario I posited for the crass and facetious joke that it was, then you should have asked for help before posting.

3. We don’t know what time of day it was when the incident occurred. It could have been pre-dawn and that photo may have been taken hours later, so “broad daylight” is another assumption of yours.

4. If the only officers on the scene are men, they absolutely would still frisk her. Period. If they didn’t, they were negligent and failed int heir duty. You’re inventing excuses for them that blame the victim when you say “she would’ve accused them of groping her.” Cops do get accused of that all the time. Know why? Because they still frisk the perp, even if it’s a female. Know why? Because life and death and it’s their fucking job.

10 Likes

I said that was possible ALSO. I said both scenarios were possible. Read the comment again.

All news accounts say it was early in the afternoon. So you are wrong on that.

Yes, and that is a possibility. I already said that. So you are agreeing with me there.

This smells fishy to me. A woman shoots from point blank range in the back seat of the car and hits nothing? I don’t buy it.

“Time to get a new hat.”

3 Likes

Well, women are notoriously bad with directions.

1 Like

I am waiting for the investigation. That was my point. I am not going to accuse them of any wrong doing without more information. But it is very unlikely that the holes in the back window are from her shooting outward. You will notice there is no glass on the trunk or surrounding area suggesting an outward explosion of glass. Moreover, I am skeptical that the glass would have broken in the pattern it did if the shots had been fired outward and from such close distance to the window.

2 Likes

Sounds reasonable. I’m wondering if you can have the rear windows down in the car, and just the bars are up. Then perhaps she could have shot at them through the bars, they moved to the rear to get out of the line of fire, and fired through the window. Also possible.

Yes, I agree on waiting, should be interesting to see what comes up. If these guys did not cuff her, or just cuffed her in front, that was real dumb.

EDIT: Reuters is saying the cops were in the front of the car. So it’s possible she tried to shoot out the partition, and they shot back at her and one shot went through the window. Again, it’s “possible”. We shall see.

Don’t know what went down in Atlanta, but crazy crazy things can happen. As unlikely as it sounds, I covered a story in Kansas City, Kan. in the late 90s where two cops didn’t find a pistol in the pants of a suspect they had arrested and was handcuffed in the back of their patrol car. The guy pulled the gun out of his pants and managed to shoot both cops in the back, through the seat, while he was being driven to jail. The car crashed, the guy gets out somehow and there was a massive, but relatively short, manhunt for him near downtown KCK. Both the cops survived. They had actually had another cop killed in the line of duty earlier that year after he was run over in a high-speed pursuit and two more in one year would have been insane for that department.

1 Like

Were the cops in the car at the time? Not clear on that. They might have gone back to check out the stolen car and were outside the vehicle.

Let’s see what surveillance tapes and evidence indicate.

… two officers took her into custody when they saw her sitting in a stolen car in a parking deck.

So, seeing as how the police car is parked IN THE STREET, does that mean the three of them just sauntered down to the street from the parking deck, with the suspect possibly uncuffed?

Bit harder in the back seat of one of today’s amazing shrinking police cars. Though being a petite woman (if she was a petite woman) would help.

Look, as has already been pointed out, if she was petite and limber, it’s possible she slipped your hands to the front, though, if you you do that and only then remember your gun is in your back waistband, you’re screwed at that point.

But I just find it inconceivable that there has ever been a black woman suspected of a felony in this country since the invention of handcuffs who wasn’t cuffed on arrest, even if she hadn’t been patted down.

Even if this was the case, why not stand outside with her, watching her? Bottom line is, incompetence. You don’t put an un-frisked suspected criminal in a squad.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available