Discussion: ACLU Battles Georgia Over Toddler's Last Name Of 'Allah'

You can name a kid Jesus but not Allah? Stupid.

No, they could not give the child Jesus as a last name either, unless it was the last name of the mother or father. It’s State Law. They have EVERY right to use Allah as a middle name before the last name if they want. They can give the child 100 middle names if they want. But the last name must be one or both of the parents. Period.

Another waste of court time by a couple who KNOW this would make the news and get them their fame on talk shows, etc.

Oh, they can hire an attorney to change their own last names to Allah, and then the child would have the last name Allah. Why not just do that? Oh, I forgot, they crave attention and want to cry “victim!!!”. Morons.

And…? Is this a good state law? One which does not violate the Constitution? What public good is served by mandating the last name of a child?

If every civil liberties case could be shut down with simply, “it’s the law”, then there would be no progress on civil rights.

1 Like

Yes, it’s a good law. Easier record keeping, etc. It creates a logistical mess in schools, public records, etc., to have haphazard last names. Notifications of next of kin, safety situations, there are all kinds of issues. It’s just easier to maintain the last name for all kinds of reasons.

A better question is why these morons are so obsessed with a last name? And if they don’t like their own, they can legally just change it and go through the proper channels, and then their child will also have that last name.

How in hell is this a civil rights issue? Are you for real? They can name their child anything they want, the last name just has to be one of the parents. How hard is this?

It’s stupid fucking shit like this that makes liberals look like a-holes, and does not help us in elections. And it’s a total waste of court time.

Hey, I think I will sue because I think I should not be legally required to have any name? Hey ACLU, I’m being oppressed, HELP!!! Or how about my SS number? Why is it that number? Why can’t I pick my own number? I want my birthday numbers on it, and also some letters. Why can’t I? I’m being oppressed.

Morons. Fight for Civil Rights, yes. But don’t whine about ridiculous bullshit because you think it’s cool to be a victim. Not only is that dumb, but it belittles people who actually are having their civil rights violated.

And the real irony is that if this was two Christian a-holes who wanted to give the last name Jesus to their kid, but were not allowed to, you’d be on the states side and making the exact same argument I am making. My argument is based on logic, yours is based on bias.

I would challenge that state law. My daughter’s last name is a combination of my wife’s and mine, not the same as either.

Read the article, or just the headline?

State officials say the child’s name — ZalyKha Graceful Lorraina Allah — should either be Handy, Walk or a combination of the two.

And yes, I agree, that makes sense.

But we don’t need some kid in school whose parents last name is Smith, but decided to change it to Jones, and then the Jones family decides it will be cool to have their kid be a Smith. It would be a nightmare for school Admin, Parent-Teacher conferences, etc. The list of problems is endless. There is a reason why if you want to legally change your last name that you have to consult an attorney and go through all kinds of paperwork and pay fees. It’s because it is putting a burden on government resources.

Once again, no one is saying the child can’t have Allah as part of the name. Just that the last name be from the parents own last name(s). This is not a civil rights violation in ANY way.

That didn’t change my mind. My wife an I both have different last names. My daughter goes by a rare nickname of her middle name, and has two last names with no hyphen (both are cultural traditions for my family).

I know the list of problems that come from this because we face them. The school has never figured out what her last name is, sometimes using the third name and sometimes the fourth and sometimes both. Her position in alphabetization lists is never certain, and she’s actually had her state standardized tests mis-assigned because of it.

Add in that they can’t figure out her first name either, and my list is different from having different last names. Her first name is Ida, and that’s on all the official papers but on assignments, play bills, music concert listings, sports teams she’s listed Kendy which is short for her middle name.

And the problem with school lunches was legion because she would pay as Kendy but be charged as Ida we would get double billed for food.

None of these issues should mean the government can tell me what to name my daughter. She is my daughter, and the fact that there might be some confusion at school is no reason to force a different name.

Let’s posit a hypothetical, after my real example.

Two gay men get married, keep their own names. Unable to naturally conceive a baby on their own, they go to a woman friend to serve as a surrogate. To honor her, they give the child her last name.

Every issue we have faced in my family, and every issue on record keeping and parent teacher conferences and emergency contacts you posited above would apply.

And still the government should not be allowed to force these two men to change the baby’s name.

NEW HYPOTHETICAL

Man marries a woman with three small children who have her last name, and adopts the children. The woman dies after a few years in an accident, and they now have a different last name from their sole parent.

He then remarries, and the second wife keeps her own name. She also adopts the children, who want to keep the last name of their mother because they loved her.

Now the three kids have two parents, look like a traditional nuclear family, but they have different names from their parents who have different names.

Should the government be allowed to force the children to change their last name?

LAST HYPOTHETICAL

You adopt a eight year old boy whose parents died in a plane crash. Because he has a name he’s learned to read and write, and remembers the parents who gave it to him, they want him to keep the name despite it confusing teachers at conferences.

Should the government be allowed to force the boy to change his name?

If in any of these examples you would allow the child or children to keep their names that are different from their parents, then the government should not be allowed to force parents to give a certain name at birth, either.

None of those examples has someone making up a last name that has nothing to do with any of the parties involved. All of what you stated above would be covered by the Law, so I have no idea what you are rambling on about.

?? That’s fine by the Law we are discussing. So what’s the issue? The discussion is if you decided to arbitrarily give your child a last name of Jesus, Allah, etc. That would be dumb and serves no purpose but to make things as confusing as possible.

I suspect you have no idea what I am “rambling on about” because you don’t want to.

I am not saying that in any of the cases the government would currently force a last name change, but that each of these cases would have the same issues as a “made up” last name that would be forced to change.

If the issues resulting from my hypotheticals (and the ones I’ve lived with for almost 13 years) are not enough for the government to compel a name change, and those issues are no different than in the example in the article, then why would they be so bad as to compel government interference in the article’s case?

It is such a rare instance that a new baby would not be given the parents’ last name/names, much more rare than the adoption hypothetical I gave. Why would the government have an interest in stepping in on the rare issue, and not on the others?

Because these are actually easy issues to navigate if the name is important to the parents.

I’m not suggesting that any of my examples would fall under the law.

I am saying that there are many naming situations that create the same problems you cite, and yet the government doesn’t see an interest in stepping in fort those examples. If the government doesn’t see an issue in my real world case or the cases in my hypothetical, I question whether there is a compelling interest in the government in the article’s example.

Emergency contacts and parent teacher confusion is not enough for the government to step in on familial nomenclature. The government makes that clear by not stepping in on adoptions, surrogacy, or people like me.

You could also say that it is stupid government interference in things that are not really the government’s place that make liberals look stupid.

Frankly, this is an issue of freedom. Just because the name “Allah” and the ACLU are involved doesn’t make it a liberal issue. My perspective is that this is a case of the government sticking it’s nose in personal business where it doesn’t belong, and so despite the fact that I’m a liberal my opposition if from a conservative perspective.

Because in all those cases the last name has a relation to the people in question. How hard is this?

Really? So conservative are pro-choice, pro weed legalization, etc? What on earth are you talking about?

So as I said, I can protect being assigned a Social Security Number dictated by the “gubbermint”, because I want to choose my own number?

Get a grip. This is silly bullshit, in plain English.

It is hard because your argument and defense are not in line with each other. You argue that the compelling interest for the government is for record keeping (parent teacher conferences, next of kin notifications, emergency contacts,etc.), but defend it by saying the kid’s name would be in common with “the people in question.”

First, in my examples the children did not have names in common with the people who would be at parent teacher conferences or be notified in an emergency. They had names in common with people who would not be on the records in question. They might have a name in common with a deceased birth parent or a surrogate, etc., but not with “the people in question.”

My position is quite simple: Because many children and wards have different names from their parents/legal guardians/next of kin, and because these families navigate all the record keeping issues just fine, there is no compelling interest for the government to force people naming an infant at birth to do so in common with their own names.

In short, because the government doesn’t care about the record keeping issues when it comes to adoption or surrogacy or death of parents (or just an inability to get my daughter’s name right) it cannot argue that is should care about it at birth. Frankly, the issues you bring up are not an issue at birth, but after starting school.

So that is why I disagree with you. And I did it without calling you a moron like you did to people who disagree with you.

I called the couple morons, and I stand by that. Stupid BS like this is part of the reason why we lost the election. Pick your battles. This is a dumb one for sure. Court time is valuable.

A synopsis on how things work here.

Yes, as I said, technically they can CHANGE the name to Allah as the last name, it just has to be done properly and shown not to be for fraudulent purposes, etc… But the official original name of record is a family name of some kind, so things can always be tracked. And that’s not going to change, nor should it.

Your case examples are all traceable back to the family names. Yes, sometimes that can be more complex due to divorces, etc. What you are proposing would multiply that complexity by millions, and that is not an exaggeration. It makes zero sense, and it’s not a violation of civil rights, that is preposterous. People can legally change their name to anything.

Just like the SS number I referenced, You still have not addressed that. Do you think we should be able to just pick our own “lucky numbers”, etc.? Or maybe that’s better for lottery tickets.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available