Discussion: 5 Points On Harry Reid's Daring Plot To Force A Vote On Loretta Lynch

Discussion for article #235415

Good reporting. Maybe a Hail Mary, but worth it. I think the thing to keep in mind is that this will not only become a huge Civil Rights issue, but also a “Women’s Reproductive Rights” issue. It will unite a big part of the Democratic base on issues that they are not likely to forget about in 2016-- not least because Hillary won’t let them. So, as to the vote count, Kirk is likely to go with Reid, because he will be toast in Illinois if he doesn’t-- might be anyway, because Tammy Duckworth will be an exceptionally strong opponent for him. But, I can see Jeff Flake, as well, who is already bucking Republican orthodoxy on a variety of issues and senses the Arizona political landscape shifting. I think there are also several female Republican Senators who will feel the heat on this issue and will urge McConnell to figure out a way to get rid of the issue, if Harry turns up the heat in the kitchen!

8 Likes

From your lips to Mitch’s ear!

Apparently the Republicans do NOT want to vote for a black woman as attorney general. Sure, they have Eric Holder, a black man, now, but that was when the Senate was held by Democrats, right?

How could they EVER explain to their constituents that they voted FOR a black woman to be the highest law enforcement officer in the land? their base would never forgive them.

So they are trying to mask it with other things… I have the feeling they will NEVER vote for Lynch ever.

2 Likes

My money is on Harry Reid making The Turtle and his co-conspirators look bad. Even GOP senators think Reid is more effective than The Turtle.

7 Likes

They had no problem voting for Condi Rice. Different office, but also black, and also female. I think they’re just afraid of a new and different perspective being applied to the law. Estrogen is a very scary thing to Republicans! Testosterone in control of our legal system must be preserved!

1 Like

Walk the talk, Harry, follow through on this.

1 Like

I hope you are right … the Dems cannot give an single syllable on the trafficking bill, even if Eric Holder remains in place for the rest of Pres Obama’s term.

3 Likes

It doesn’t matter how bad they look, though, does it? They keep winning. And the non teabag base becomes discouraged and stays home. See: election 2014.

2 Likes

Given his history, I’d say this is all talk and no action.

On the other hand I like the way he’s been speaking out lately about the GOP. Like he is ready to pack it in and he’s all out of fu**s to give.

“the next thing that would happen is that Republicans would object, and Reid would need 51 votes to override their objection and move forward. This is where his plan is likely to fail.”

Perhaps “fail” is the wrong word. I don’t think the public will be too happy watching the GOP/Teatrolls once again vote against voting on something. This will, at the very least, force the issue to a head and draw attention to it and require the GOP/Teatrolls to explain why they’re holding something hostage…again…to try to get their way on a dispute that is 100% unrelated in any way, shape or form to the hostage. They have no good excuse. All they have is “well, we had to threaten people because they’re not doing precisely what we want.”

5 Likes

How are these 5 points? Interesting read but This doesn’t need to be presented in listicle format.

The gambit will fail but will get the attention of the press who have not made the Lynch story a big deal. That will make Republicans look bad and will put pressure on McConnell.

3 Likes

Good point. A better headline would have been:
> Harry Reid Will Force A Vote With This One Weird Trick.

9 Likes

But IOKIYAR

1 Like

Sort of like their real concern is that she’s a nominee of Obama’s. That is if she was white, would the Republicans suddenly be falling over themselves to confirm if she had the same record etc.? I think not.

looking and acting bad ass, Harry

1 Like

Agree, I think this move could be beneficial even if it doesn’t succeed in forcing a vote.

2 Likes

The “5 Points” model is TPM’s latest gimmick for eye-catching. It’s rather like the Soviets’ “5-Year Plans”. It doesn’t matter if there is only one point or three points or ten points. The model is “5 Points” and that is what we shall have:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/fivepoints

Actually, the 5 points are, in chronological order:

➊ Harry Reid makes motion from the floor for confirmation vote
âž‹ Republicans block motion
➌ Harry Reid kicks ass and takes names
➍ Hell freezes over
➎ Mitch McConnell schedules confirmation vote

7 Likes

Mr. Reid, you sir are fucking amazing!

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available