WSJ: Trump Wants To Buy Greenland | Talking Points Memo

So what is he trying to distract from this time?

I guess he looked and Fuckoffistan wasn’t available.

I think that’s still very much unknown (search term is “thermohaline circulation”). If the Gulf Stream was disrupted it would have a profound impact on Northern Europe, as you note. I’ve generally seen it presented as not just unlikely but at the very edge of plausibility, but I haven’t checked in on the science in a couple of years.

1 Like

Explains why Trump thinks he can buy them.

I think he’s hoping when he gets booted from office, they’ll just offer him King of Greenland.

1 Like

I still love you. LOL

No, no, no…we need the chocolate.

1 Like

I first read that as “Denmark should offer Fat Ass a swamp” and thought yes, a place where he won’t be burdened by the constant forest-sweeping. Though I hear the maintenance on marsh gas is a bear.

2 Likes

The Gulf Stream disruption has been ongoing, and most of the sea level rise on the Atlantic seaboard has been attributed by slowing of the current*. Due, as you mentioned, to thermohaline circulation and changes tomit as Greenland’s ice sheets have been shedding net gigatons of water annually for several decades.

You may also recall an occasion in the past half dozen years, in which the entire UK had snow cover at one point. I was initially baffled on visiting London in January 1999, having left Boston in a blizzard and flown north to the UK. Upon landing it was well above freezing. I came to understand that on really cold winter days one could expect freezing rain in London, but that was about as cold as it traditionally got.

(* The GS movement literally pulls water from the Atlantic US coastline, as it passes. As it slows the effect lessens.)

3 Likes

he’s a slippery one all right.

1 Like

I know. I’ll get America to buy Greenland, and put up a world-class ski resort… Trump Island North…

Uh, sir? There’s no more snow in Greenland.

That’s okay, Vladimir’s got plenty to spare.

Um… sir…?

Thanks! I had completely forgotten the impact of the Gulf Stream on sea level. Wild.

Anyway, looks like my recollection is pretty out of date, time to do some reading up myself.

Exactly what I was thinking – Trump sees Greenland as a great place for his next golf course.

I rather doubt Greenland wants to be the next Puerto Rico, though.

1 Like

Then it will be deemed the fault of the Federal Reserve and the Democrats. Bet on it.

1 Like

A state with barely 50k people in it? He realizes, doesn’t he, that just because it’s named Greenland it’s not one big putting green, right?

But he does know that the water hazard around it is wicked!

I first misread that as ‘rubles.’

Apparently he’ still at it, according to Kudlow on the Sunday morning shows.

You’re right, in the last one, but it was more complex. Herefr9m The always helpful Wikepedia—
“ A fifth referendum was held on June 11, 2017. Turnout was 23%, a historical failure in a nation where voting turnout usually hovers around 80%. A boycott of the vote was led by the citizenry at large, citing discontent over never-ending non-binding referenda, and protesting Ricardo Rosselló’s pro-statehood administration’s choice to spend public funds in subsidizing this vote when the island was in the midst of a devastating fiscal crisis… Some would later try to attribute the boycott to the Popular Democratic Party, citing its support for the status quo. The numbers, however, do not support the notion that the boycott was divided along party lines. Of the minimal number of voters who participated, 97.18% chose statehood, 1.50% favored independence and 1.32% chose to maintain the commonwealth status.”

Man, there was something seriously wrong with Kudlow during those appearances…

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available