With Portman Retiring… Should We Be Bracing For A Senator Jim Jordan?

After Senator Rob Portman (R-OH) announced his unexpected retirement Monday, seemingly every Ohio politician with a pulse blasted out a statement thanking him for his service and teasing the possibility of a run.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1356644
1 Like

I’m not going to predict whether he’ll do it or not, but why would he ever want to give up 14 years of House seniority and ranking member/chair status to become a junior member of the Senate?

10 Likes

I thought Woody Hayes wanted to be governor, but I suppose the Senate is where he can have a higher profile and not actually have to do anything.

4 Likes

Fewer elections but not sure it would save any on fund raising.

3 Likes

Should we be bracing for a senator Jim Jordan?

It is Ohio, so I would say yes.

3 Likes

Get LeBron to run…

19 Likes

Because senators are more senior in our system than most congressmen?

As I have said for many years, of the all the despicable, slimy GOP Motherfuckers in the Senate, Portman has been the most despicable, the slimiest, and the biggest Motherfucker of them all, for the very simple reason that he is actually smart enough, self-aware enough, humane enough, and otherwise decent enough, with personal connections to various issues and constituencies, both to know and to do better, but he has always chosen to go along with the lowest denominator of the GOP, including Trump, at every opportunity and without hesitation anyway, despite his knowledge and his conscience. Good riddance to this Motherfucker’s Motherfucker.

21 Likes

OH-4 is beet red. Jordan reliably wins it by 2:1 margins.

Nope!

3 Likes

People do. Cf. Blackburn, Marsha. There is more clout and higher visibility. Instead of being 1 of 435, one is now 1 of 100. Practically everything the president does is subject to the advice and consent of the Senate. It also means only having to stand for reelection every six years instead of every two years.

5 Likes

With Portman Retiring… Should We Be Bracing For A Senator Jim Jordan?

So will Ohio go from Portman to ranking House Pedophile?

14 Likes

Two years is a relatively long time in news cycles. That trump flag is gonna be pretty tattered by then.

9 Likes

He’s the loudest and best known of the contenders,”

well, it seems loud big mouths get some advantage in the gop world

4 Likes

Lots more opportunity for assholery in the senate.

10 Likes

that has consequences also.
from a Maine resident

2 Likes

Will the GOP’s big donors support Jordan especially in light of Jordan’s vote to challenge the electoral college? Will McConnell support Jordan? Lotsa questions.

4 Likes

Bring on the wrestling perv. We can beat him like a drum. (I should say I am not criticizing his affectional orientation, but do find fault with his willingness to sell access to watch student athletes in the shower.)

3 Likes

Can we really stand having the Tres Amigos in the Senate, Cruz, Hawley, and then Jordan? Rand doesn’t play well with others so they told him to stick it.

3 Likes

Man, there are a lot of dumb GOP Senators but if Jordan were to join their ranks he would pull down the average IQ of the entire chamber by 10-20 points.

7 Likes

Should we be bracing for that. Eff no.

What you do before an election is try to win it.

10 Likes