With Chilling Surveillance Vids, Jan. 6 Panel Reveals Why It’s Still Concerned About GOPer’s Tour

The House Jan. 6 Committee on Wednesday sounded the alarm on Wednesday, releasing new surveillance footage of Rep. Barry Loudermilk’s (R-GA) Jan. 5 Capitol office building tour just after the U.S. Capitol Police declared the tour unsuspicious.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1419977

OK, I will start this off with a stupid question. Why was the Capitol open for tours during a pandemic when it was not even open to the public for hearings? I frequent the complex fairly regularly and I can tell you there were hardly any meetings even being held there in late 2020 early 2021. Most staff were teleworking and none of the food service was open. Zoom and Team meetings. The Capitol itself has numerous hallways, tunnels, stairwells etc… that take you into House and Senate office buildings.

59 Likes

Hallcases, stairwells, and security checkpoints: the most boring vacation photo album ever.

49 Likes

The way they redacted some of those images, it looks like a tour with a bunch of balaclava-wearing Jack-in-the-Box guy rejects.

13 Likes

Pretty clear why the Capitol police did not see any problems coming. New management stat.

25 Likes

Bad boys, bad boys, what you’re going to do when they come for you?

11 Likes

Seems like Rep. Loudermilk has some pretty serious 'splaining to do.

17 Likes

There was no reason -even as tourists- for anyone other than McC’s, their staff and other authorized individuals to be in that building. Covid restrictions were still in effect and why would he take them down there? It doesn’t smell right.

59 Likes

All that infrastructure photography - kids these days, huh?

47 Likes

It was my understanding that the capitol was closed for tours - with the huge loophole that an elected representative can chose to lead tours. Perhaps those restrictions did limit the tour to the office building (only of interest because of who works there) rather than the capitol itself (a beautiful building that is also significant because of its function)

30 Likes

Representative Loudermilk you lied and that’s the end of the story.

76 Likes

I must have hundreds of pictures of staircases and security check points in my boxes of vacation photographs.

Much more enjoyable than those boring pictures of my kids at Disney World or playing at the beach - or at the Capitol, for that matter.

27 Likes
  1. Capitol closed for tours, and to any of the public
  2. Nobody cleared the tours with authorities
  3. Loudermilk lied about giving ANY tours that day
  4. Loudermilk then said he took family members only
  5. Loudermilk then said he took family members and a few others
  6. Loudermilk now says he took 16 people on that tour

I don’t know if he’s done lying or not, but why lie in the first place if your acts were not nefarious?

[ED:Dates]
Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 8.06.01 AM

91 Likes

I don’t remember ever seeing a tour of a HOB or SOB. Groups (students, constituents) might be walking through the hallway on the way to a member’s office, but there really is nothing to see but offices, and, apparently in this case, all of the ways to get from the office building into the Capitol, or from the Capitol into a member’s office.

35 Likes

"A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself." – Marcus Tullius Cicero

60 Likes

His pal Gohmert Pyle once again goes off the rails

21 Likes

Louts like Loudermilk now have to calculate what they did not know to be in existence. Denial becomes impossible when the surveillance footage that is thought to be in existence is merely a piece of the complete package.

Loudermilk et al among the insurrectionist caucus must be having a sad with their undies all stained and stinky.

24 Likes

Trump Inc decided on the Capitol invasion late in the game but that does not mean that the fascist groups had not been looking at how to do it much earlier. I sure hope they have some group other than the Capitol Police looking at whether any cell phones found on the Capitol grounds on 1/6 show up in the cell.phone data for those buildings in the prior year.

18 Likes

Loudermilk clearly lied to the committee but the question is not simply ‘what did he know, and when did he know it,’ and what is minimally required now is more than his confession: the committee and DOJ need a full list of participants in that tour.

37 Likes

It wasn’t open to general public. It was open for those members of Congress that wanted to give tours. That’s been repeated constantly in defense of these gatherings and I don’t think it’s a reasonable explanation, given the pandemic and where things were at that time.

16 Likes