Will The Supreme Court Engage In Mischief To Delay Trump’s Trial?

A lot of things happened. Here are some of the things. This is TPM’s Morning Memo. Sign up for the email version.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1475659

132 Likes

Taylor Swift Donates $1 Million to Tennessee Communities Devastated by Tornadoes (msn.com)

54 Likes

Jack Smith Drops New Trump Bomb: Expert ‘Extracted Data’ From White House Phones During Riot — Including Trump’s Cell (msn.com)

65 Likes

Indicted former Rep. George Santos (R-CA) is in negotiations…

The other George Santos?

23 Likes

Yep, Really
Heartland/Rasmussen Poll: One-in-Five Mail-In Voters Admit to Committing at Least One Kind of Voter Fraud During 2020 Election – The Heartland Institute

18 Likes

I wish Jack Smith all the luck in the world and that the SCOTUS sees the looming threat to them and the rule of law (the justices probably won’t see the threat coming until it’s too late)

35 Likes
35 Likes

Matty was not amused! :smiling_imp:

26 Likes
14 Likes
19 Likes

CNN reports:

Three months after the FBI seized classified records from Mar-a-Lago last August, a longtime employee of Donald Trump’s private club quit his job. Within days, the former president did something he rarely did – Trump called the former employee on his cell phone to ask why he was leaving after two decades of working at the resort.

But he wasn’t just any staffer at the club – the former employee was a witness to several episodes special counsel Jack Smith included in his federal criminal indictment charging the former president with mishandling classified documents.

The phone call from Trump, described to CNN by multiple people familiar with it, was part of a pattern of outreach to the former employee, who would become a key witness in the months after the FBI search of Mar-a-Lago and before Trump’s June indictment. Interactions included offers of legal representation by attorneys paid for by Trump and complimentary tickets to a golf tournament, as well as repeated reminders he could come back to work for Trump.

Read the full article.

We shall see what A. Cannon does here: push sanctions and penalties for witness tampering, at least: or hold her fire and blow up the prosecution.

68 Likes

Does scotus want to act as a collective aileen cannon and instigate a delay in proceedings that brazenly aids djt? I guess we’ll know the answer soon (in a jurisprudence time frame).

fwiw I think they’ll find, without a lot of delay, that tfg has no immunity as a former pres or as a current candidate.

45 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

thanks, I needed that laugh today.

21 Likes

This needs to be posted again…

67 Likes

Yeah, I came on here to point out that oopsies, too. We don’t claim him and don’t want him. (We’ve got McCarthy instead, although not much longer.)

11 Likes

Let’s place responsibility where it belongs: Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick accepted a legal (in Texas) bribe and browbeat the Texas Senate into acquitting Ken Paxton in his impeachment trial earlier this year.

Texas Monthly awarded the Light Guv its Bum Steer award. This is well worth a read.

47 Likes

While it’s true the 6 right wingers on the Supreme Court could inject delay into Jack Smith’s expedited appeal of Trump’s claim of absolute immunity, it’s highly unlikely they’ll substantively rule in his favor. The question is whether the Court’s right wingers want Trump to keep delaying to avoid any legal accountability until after the November election, and no one has a clue how they’ll rule. Indeed, the only sure thing in the entire appeal is Ginni Thomas’s corrupt husband will use all his powers to side with Trump, but he’s only 1 of 9 members of the Court.

47 Likes

A couple years is stupid fast in the legal world.

6 Likes

:scream:

“Oh noes we can’t have allow a spreadsheet that tracked the threats to Freeman and Shay. That would would prejudicial to my client, America’s Mayor.”

27 Likes