Will Nancy Pelosi Ratify Kevin McCarthy’s Picks For Jan. 6 Committee? | Talking Points Memo

A lot of things happened. Here are some of the things.

By rule, Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) can reject Kevin McCarthy’s picks for the Jan. 6 committee. Her dilemma, such as it is: Should GOP members who enabled and supported the subversion of the election sit on the committee investigating the subversion?

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1381666
2 Likes

I’m guessing not all.

13 Likes

I’m sure Nancy is well aware of the ‘trap’ McQarthy has set for her.

These five will not be seated if she’s as smart as she’s been until now.

I’m not [too] worried.

17 Likes

The one thing about which I feel certain is that, whatever Pelosi does, she’ll do it for the right reasons, and (likely) reasons we can’t parse.

43 Likes

“Should GOP members who enabled and supported the subversion of the election sit on the committee investigating the subversion?”

Just throwing a wild guess out there but, um…NO?

25 Likes
36 Likes

Nancy will give them the rope to hang themselves and they won’t even see it coming.

11 Likes

NEHLs was ImProperLy fired For DesTrOying eviDence wHile he was A poliCe.

16 Likes

Even though Gym Jordan would put Republican Assholiness on full display, I would still like to see Nancy Strike him from the committee. We already know he is an asshole, she should make sure we get a chance to be introduced to another Republican Asshole. I get that we already know most of them, but it would be nice to see a borderline asshole appointed and watch while their state committee pressures them into full-on assholiness

38 Likes

Nancy saw this coming before she created the committee.

And she will be at least one step ahead on this as she has been on everything else over the past years. They won’t feel the shiv until they’re bleeding out.

The woman is a national treasure and deserves the highest honor this country can afford her.

58 Likes

“I think if I had it to do again, I would have brought in the military immediately,” Trump told
Carol D. Leonnig and Philip Rucker.

How can one explain why there are still Black Republicans? Are they all just in it for the Grift?

15 Likes

Jim Jordan not much use as a witness. He just can’t see anything when anyone around him is getting fucked.

40 Likes

Seat Jim and call him as a witness. He was there, after all…

6 Likes

Eh, there’s something squirrely about having someone on the witness stand that’s also on the jury or on the bench.

No, I think I like the idea I heard earlier - tell McQarthy that he can’t name someone to the committee that is on the list of witnesses to testify.

41 Likes

The riddle is how to garner Jordan’s being an obnoxious, disruptive and lying asshole to one’s advantage.

9 Likes

OT: India’s excess covid deaths likely around 4 million according to new estimate, about 10 times the official figure. If true, this would put the lethality of the current pandemic within an order of magnitude of the 1918 H1N1 flu pandemic, which ultimately killed 2-3% of the global population.

15 Likes

So Foxnews now is on the vaccination bandwagon.
Last week Jeanine Piro claimed claimed Biden’s plan was to make a list of unvaccinated so they can take your guns. (She strangely didn’t mention Bibles).
Now Fox is all in for vaccines. Hannity, Doucy et al.
I wonder how many elderly watchers are dead from listening and abiding by Foxnews advice to not get vaccinated.
Apparently it’ll be synced with adoration for Trumps creating the vaccine and deserves our eternal praise.

16 Likes

Exactly. See Krugman on Loyalty Signaling and Flattery Inflation.

9 Likes

While I often disagree with Ms. Pelosi’s messaging, I think she has been a quite effective speaker. However, I will really question her judgement if she allows Rep. Jordan to be seated on the committee.

7 Likes

The riddle is how to garner Jordan’s being an obnoxious, disruptive and lying asshole to one’s advantage.

One must be careful. Pelosi could agree to McCarthy’s choices., and after a week into the hearings Jordan becomes so disruptive, Pelosi kicks him off the committee - and in protest the other Republican choices walk out with Jordan. “Inquisition!”, can hear it now.

10 Likes