Why The November Election Is Going To Be Even More Effed Than We Realized | Talking Points Memo

We could always expand the voting days, open the polling stations on the Saturday before the first Tuesday, and leave them open until Tuesday until there’s no one left in line. And expand Mail In voting.

3 Likes

If you weren’t at the whims of Ron “Superfan” DeSantis and his apparatchik SoS, yes, but the proposal I was responding to was specifically about online voting.

1 Like

Desperate to steal as much as he can from the Trumpholes before he’s thrown off of the campaign, Brad Parscale claimed 300,000 people had already signed up for the Bunker Boy’s Death Rally in Tulsa Oklahoma.

Huh?

First off, the venue where Morbidly Obese is speaking holds 19,199 people. MAXIMUM.

Second no social distancing or masks will be used, making it the world’s largest petri dish for the Donnievirus .

Third, anybody trying to get tickets has to sign a waiver saying if they get the Donnievirus and get sick, they can’t sue the campaign.

Fourth, the population of Tulsa is a bit over 401 thousand. So in order to swallow this, we have to believe three-quarters of the population of the city will show up to listen to the Failed Mail-order Meat Salesman.

My question is where are they going to stay?

4 Likes

Given what DeSantis is doing with Covid data, I find it oddly endearing that you expect ballot counting to be done in Florida on the up and up.

Assume Trump will get 98% of the vote in places like Florida and Georgia, he doesn’t want to be embarrassed again by losing the popular vote nationwide.

I live in Washington and our vote by mail works perfectly but in close elections it might take days to count all the ballots. I wonder how the second wave of the pandemic, especially in open Republican states will effect the vote. Many Republicans might really be pissed off at their elected Cult leaders.
In the end I don’t think it will make much difference because the Democratic turnout will be overwhelming. We want to send the malignant President to prison.

1 Like

The 300,000 Cult members who sign waivers is not for if they get the Donnievirus but When they get the Donnievirus. It’s a mass suicide event.

1 Like

Plenty of time for them to get put on ventilators before the election.

It is long past time for activists to familiarize themselves with the dusty and rarely used parts of the US code that go into effect when the integrity of federal elections are in question and cannot be certified.

Election integrity failure is part of the plan. The GOP is depending on it.

1 Like

Everybody talks incessantly about what the GOP will do. How about some talk about how we are more than ready for this because we aren’t in the dark. We know, the Democrats have plans made.

2 Likes

We are not even remotely in position to win a contingent election.

If Democrats have a plan for avoiding a contingent election, then it would be good for activists to know what to do to help avoid it. As far as I can tell, the GOP can force a contingent election just by refusing to prevent it. (Spoiler: they are refusing every opportunity.)

Do you know what activists can do to help avoid a contingent election? I don’t. I can’t see any way to avoid it if the GOP decides that’s how they win this year.

1 Like

What makes you so damn sure that this is what will happen?

And how do you know plans aren’t already in place? You don’t think the party has lawyers ready to go? They do.

I’m not sure, but if T-bone doesn’t recover in the polls between now and November, then a contingent election is pretty much his only legitimate path to remain in the White House.

A few weeks ago, I saw reports on Twitter and in POLITICO that Democrats were gaming out this scenario. Those reports say that Democrats are keeping the results of those planning sessions very closely held. Note well: that means Democrats have been holding planning sessions, not that they have produced a plan.

Do I think they have lawyers? Yes. They have lawyers. Do those lawyers have a plan? Maybe. Is it a plan that can work? I’m skeptical. There will be a nearly impossible time pressure to overcome, and GOP opponents are exceedingly good at obstructing legal procedures. Especially with a friendly judicial bench.

Telling me that Democrats have lawyers ready to prevent a contingent election is like telling me that the fossil fuel industry has lawyers ready to prevent a 5C rise in average global temperatures. Sure, I believe there are lawyers. I don’t think they even want to do anything about it, much less have any power to do so.

What the hell is legit about it?

Suicide, assuming they don’t infect and kill anyone else first.

I suppose the answer to that depends on whether you recognize the legitimacy of the U.S. Constitution, Article II, §1, clause 3 (modified by the 12th Amendment).

Vote by mail is too simple. And sensible. Tha t is why goob ers don’t lije it. Plus when everybody votes goobers lose. They cannot countenance that.

1 Like

For consideration. The Dems need to renew the menu every once in a while.

On that note, it’s worth noting that Pelosi’s opponent this November is a much younger and much more progressive Democrat— thanks to California’s “jungle” primary system and the total collapse of the San Francisco GOP.

1 Like

Barton Gellman in The Atlantic finally writes about the issue I was discussing above.

Apparently Jake Sherman is reporting that Nancy Pelosi seems to think the scenario I discussed above is worth taking seriously.

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1310304749359714304

NEW — @SpeakerPelosi just sent a letter to her Democratic colleagues keying on last nights @realDonaldTrump speech, in which he said he could win the presidency if it goes to the House. PELOSI is asking for members to try to win House state delegations. Unusual times.

Attached to the tweet are image captures of the letter.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available