Which States Are At Greatest Risk Of Militia Activity Around The Election? | Talking Points Memo

With the Trump campaign calling for an “army” of poll watchers and armed right-wingers charged with plotting the kidnapping of the governor of Michigan, some observers are concerned this election season that various groups may interfere with the democratic process. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1339952
1 Like

The fact that they’ve left off Idaho (AKA Bundyville) makes me wonder what other active militia areas they’re also missing. I think Ammon & Co. have been prepping for something post election.

3 Likes

The Sovereign State of Mar A Lago is going to have quite the military. Too bad Dear Leader doesn’t pay salaries or taxes.

4 Likes

Militias don’t shit where they eat (for the most part). Besides intimidating Idaho voters is a waste of time, Trump is going to win there. But you can count them on making themselves a nuisance in next door Oregon.

4 Likes

Bundyville

6 Likes

Really not too worried about these asshats in Oregon. We have vote by mail, so there aren’t polling places to worry about. And the drop boxes are mostly drive by and usually well staffed.

If Trump wins again, we may see a parade of pickups from Clackamas County and Vancouver Washington in downtown Portland again.

3 Likes

Good luck with that in Oregon. What are they going to do, stand watch at the post office?

3 Likes

Here in Portland, the nightly Black Lives Matter protests give the cosplay commandos a regular venue for their theatrics, should they care to appear. Other than that, they would have to resort to looking all tough in their cammo at libraries in front of ballot drop boxes.

3 Likes

Actually, the threat of pre- or post-election violence and of armed militias in the streets is the result of a single factor: Donald J. Trump. Without the encouragement to violence by the President of the United States, there would be no threat of violence, just as there has been no threat of election violence for the past hundred years. It’s hardly surprising that Trump’s myrmidons speak of the gathering “storm”. His stormtroopers (Sturmabteilung) are in position and have been told to “stand by”. A majority of the country knows that electing Trump was a mistake. It remains to be seen if the mistake can be corrected without violence.

1 Like

IMHO any of these armed “criminals” (I cannot glorify them as militias) who show up anywhere near a polling place should be arrested and jailed for interfering with the vote. Period!

2 Likes

Well, there seems to be a simple work-around.

Trump followers are not, in general, known for their intelligence.

So, when you go to the polls, wear something that indicates that you support Trump. You may have to take it off before entering the polling place, but it should get you beyond the dimwits without being hassled.

2 Likes

Barr has resurfaced in Indianapolis today, because violent crime.

barr-crop-300x295

1 Like

A point of clarity here - Kyle Rittenhouse was not part of any group. He came here on his own. And it was not the Kenosha police or sheriff’s department that handed out the water, but one of the early arriving Fed groups (who were here at the governor’s request, not Trump’s)

Now, I will definitely agree that the militia-types were invited by a former alderman who created the group Kenosha Guard. After initially keeping quiet, he’s since come forward to loudly proclaim that yes, he did invite them here. After a few days of marching around and proudly open carrying, they’ve gotten bored and gone back home to wait for hunting season to start.

5 Likes

Fuck these people. JFC…

I was just on the phone with a woman from Michigan who wants to drop off her ballot and was worried about this nonsense because she observed similar shit when she dropped off her ballot during the primary. She’s going anyway but HOW THE FUCK IS THIS OK? And “law enforcement” in MI doesn’t want to do anything about it…can understand not wanting to disarm drooling incel nutjobs like these clowns, but I’m guessing a that a significant number of cops are sympathetic with this outright insurrectionist, seditious activity.

3 Likes

He should head over to Bloomington and hang out until Saturday for the unveiling of the statue commemorating the future birthplace of Capt. Kathryn Janeway.

4 Likes

May 20, 2336. Go Hoosiers!

1 Like

COVID delayed the unveiling from May 20. I know some of the folks behind all of this - including a professor at Indiana University. They would absolutely LOVE to have the chance to confront any of the Trumpists.

3 Likes

Trump might be unhappy in the future. They have eliminated money and grifting for dilithium crystals isn’t the same thing.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s what I figured. Who would they be fighting in Idaho? Only the few hippie libs who mostly are up there to isolate themselves anyway.

2 Likes

I would, but I think it would sear my flesh.