What To Expect On Election Day In Seven States: AK, HI, NM, OR, UT, WA, And WY | Talking Points Memo

The election is less than two weeks away now. Millions of Americans have already voted. And COVID-19 case counts are, once more, climbing.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1340251

Jaime Herrera Beutler (R-WA) is a woman.

Re: Voter intimidation in Albuquerque. Man, those Trumpies sure love them some pickup trucks! Big vehicles of every kind.

Lefties “march” - i.e. walk - but the GOP lately just rides. Makes sense. With a big spacious vehicle,

• You can command more space
  • You can look down on the pedestrians - and other vehicles
  • You can transport your gear: the irritant sprays, long guns, what have you
  • You can make a quick escape when needed, maybe outrun the police, but definitely the pedestrian lefties
  • And you can actually run down the lefties. The only good Democrat is a dead one.
2 Likes

Man. I hope Long is able to pull out a win. She came up short in 2018. Buetler is the most irritating kind of Republican: she talks about as working mother she understands how important affordable health care is for families, and then she votes however Moscow Mitch asks her to.

Footnote re Washington voting~ a recent state law has expanded the use of drop boxes, now requiring one for every 15K voters, and a minimum of one in every town, no matter how small.

At least since the mail-only era began in WA, a consistent dynamic for state-wide races and initiatives has been the lag in reporting from the most populous counties in Western WA, e.g., King (home of Seattle). With so many ballots coming in at the end, and King voting far more to the left than most of the rest of the state, we’ve seen many races where the election-day count has been eaten away each day by new ballots being counted in King. While some of the reactions to that have been disingenuous, I think it has at times created a real perception problem, that King keeps “finding” new ballots to overturn the election-day results. Basically we’ve had a preview here of what’s likely to happen in many states in 2020, where people happy with the count as of election-night will be super-PO-ed if/as they see that lead being eroded as additional info comes in. The candidates and the media will need to manage expectations.

One side note: In the past a lot of Seattle-area votes came in via late mail or last-day drop-box usage. This time many many people are voting early. But also, it looks like they’ve accelerated the ballot processing so that the counting is happening as ballots come in and are verified, as opposed to waiting until election day. At very least, the messaging to voters has changed from “your ballot has been verified and will be counted” to “your ballot has been verified and counted.”

Thank G-D I live in Washington State. We also have strict Covid-19 rules that prevented the recent rage in the nation’s pandemic cases.

WARE A MASK AND PRACTICE SOCIAL DISTANCING AND WASH YOUR HANDS OFTEN AND VOTE FOR BIDEN/HARRIS.

The GOP has a vice-like grip on the state

I guess that’s appropriate in a sense, but the actual correct word is vise.

meaning Hawaiians who want to register to vote

Only about 15% of Hawaii residents are Hawaiians!

That’s definitely been the case with California, where recently Democrats have tended to vote by mail more and Republicans in person. It doesn’t help that they report the results on election night as “100% of precincts reporting” as if that’s 100% of the ballots, when half of them are still uncounted because they were mailed in.

1 Like

In 2018 a couple CA congressional districts weren’t decided until thanksgiving week. It would be nice if CA switched to counting votes as ballots arrive, instead of starting on election day. I guess the concern is the numbers would leak before election day.

TPM could expand this section in 2022 and certainly 2024 (assuming we still hold elections, of course). For example, the five paras of CA discussion were posted in late September. If you look at the national coverage, you quickly see that most states don’t matter, even if most Americans live in those states. CA iis an eighth of the entire US population. Yes, the US has a system that makes us focus on the Senate races, electoral college and “battleground states”. But it would be nice to have a more granular view that was updated from time to time.

And “in lieu of” means “in place of”. I think you meant “in view of the pandemic” or something similar.

You’re being generous…

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available