What Netflix’s ‘Lost Pirate Kingdom’ Got Right (And Wrong) About The Golden Age Pirate Gang | Talking Points Memo

Nobody knows and Blackbeard appeared in fine health for the rest of his life and married a local girl in Bath.

Say what? He was killed in 1618 at Pamlico. What ‘rest of his life’?

Brilliant!

Hi @Hatmama !

I hate Cape Cod, but they do have an interesting Pirate Museum there, if anyone on the East Coast is interested. It looks cheesy from the outside, but inside the exhibits are well done and I learned much.

1 Like

Maybe if you weren’t obsessively watching Lalaloopsy every midnight, you’d get better results.

1 Like

It’s good to know Blackbeard didn’t really sell his own shipmates into slavery. That would have made him without doubt the worst pirate I’ve ever heard of.

Blackbeard: “But you have heard of me!”

1 Like

No idea what that one is, but for some reason I get recommended a lot of teen dramas, I mean a lot, which does worry me a bit. I watched the Dolly Parton one years ago.

1 Like

Yes, it grew on you that Series. Just as you had a preference for the NY actor played Charles Vane, I had a strong like for the South African actress who played Lady Hamilton. Who also had a premature ending and exit from the Show. I liked the character of Rackham but it took me awhile. He just seemed to be a comical schlemiel, ALL the time. And the sunglasses pissed me off. Historical poetic license.

I liked Ann Boney or however you spell it, even if she was too good to be true. And I actually liked how they wove in the Treasure Island characters. It took me awhile for the bell to ring because I read Treasure Island in Sixth Grade. Which for me was 1966-67 school year.

2 Likes

Netflix has been positively hounding me to watch Bridgerton which just looks tweenish and stupid to me.

1 Like

They’ll be telling us next that Captain Pugwash didn’t have crew members called Master Bates, Seaman Staines, and Roger the Cabin Boy.

2 Likes

It is is tweenish and stupid, that is, if you allow your tweens to watch R-17 movies.

In any case, we found it immensely enjoyable–if you take the setting on its own terms and not as a simulation of anything closely resembling history. It’s similar in that way to the Sophia Coppola movie about Marie Antoinette, the one with the punk rock soundtrack, or musicals like Amadeus or (dare I say it) Hamilton.

Was that the cabin boy played by Michael Palin on SNL? Kidnapped and forced to serve on the pirate ship The Raging Queen? Captained by John Belushi?

1 Like

Speaking of cheesy looking museums…since you are friends and since you have Netflix, you need to find the Nate Bargatze stand up segment on the multiple Stand Up comedians series. It has a pretty funny segment about his discovery of and first visit to the Cape Fear Serpentarium while on the road in North Carolina. He gives an update in his own Netflix special, the one in Las Vegas taped during the Pandemic (with audience socially distanced and wearing masks).

1 Like

Nice place to live. Wouldn’t want to visit.

1 Like

I adored Jack Rackham too. And what I ended up loving the best about it was how every pirate in it was based on a real pirate except one - Long John Silver. And he became a legend on purpose. I thought that was well done.

I agree with you about Ann Bonny but without Jack, she wouldn’t have had a story really.

@jacksonhts - My favorite was Jack. I just really liked looking at Charles Vane’s body - that actor has one. Alllll over And he had no problem with nudity.

1 Like

@rascal_crone
@tena

This thread, sitting and remembering Black Sails and the more recent Lost Pirate Kingdom, have reminded me of a history book about the Golden Age of Piracy, neither which was particularly referenced in either Series.
51F-iKmPXPL.SX331_BO1,204,203,200
The epigraph is a quote from a Donald Barthelme short story. And it goes something like this - “No interviews!!!” shrieked the Pirate. “Especially no interviews to little girls!!!” I will have to find that short story some day to see how the only North American author with a sensibility for the absurd worthy of Julio Cortazar could have worked that quote in to one of his The New Yorker intended short stories.

2 Likes

Yes, the Charles Vane actor is from NYC. He had absolutely no problem with nudity. And besides Long John Silver, Captain Flint is also from Treasure Island, and so is Billy Bones. Maybe Captain Flint is already dead during Treasure Island, or out of the picture. But I am pretty sure he is referenced. Because otherwise, why would I have ever heard the name Captain Flint? Embedded deep in the recesses of my mid sixties old memory.

Anyway, here is the IMDB page for Zach McGowan. You’re quite welcome. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Ever read John Barth?

1 Like

Yeah that guy is just gorgeous - no two ways about it. Gorgeous all over.

O and thanks for the other bits from Treasure Island. I love finding out more levels to these things. hahaha

1 Like

No. But I will definitely try if you give me a story or book to try. I just recently joined the local public library in my new location. And late fines are suspended for the duration of the Pandemic!!! Win, Win!!!

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available