How much “doing the right thing” can Ohio tolerate? That’s what I want to know.
Eight people have died in the Houston area. Three children burned alive when using fireplace to keep warm due to power being off for 8 hours. I’m sure that toll will rise across the state.
When we have an occasionally death due to cold weather, most of the times it’s someone who drank too much and didn’t make it while trying to walk home.
Well, Texas does have a lot to answer for. God’s not all nimbus and no cherubs.
Agree. One should not fall prey to the Bernie Bros who claim (without evidence) that Sanders could have easily defeated Trump in 2016. Interestingly, I’ve heard that line as well from crypto-Trump supporters (you know, the types that never come right out and say they approve of him: they just prefer anything he says and does to what the Democrats offer).
“Yeah, SURE Bernie would have won; and I’m sure YOU would have voted for him, right?”
Just read this in comments at WaPo:
Related : Lauren Boebert just said the massive power outages in Texas are the fault of the democrats’ “New Green Deal”.
By 5pm today - she’ll go on to work Hillary Clinton into equation.
Is that you, Molly?
Sorry, meme ignorant. Educate me.
Geez, step on my laugh lines, why don’t you? ![]()
ETA: See the discussion of her soliloquy.
Discovery is gonna be a blast…
Miscellany: Someone should get to the bottom of this.
I just like hearing Bernie talk. I often defended him in the past, but he would be the last person I would want as president for many reasons. And I’ve always said that. But I scratch my head at all the warm, fuzzy Bernie memes posted recently by many people who hated him here not too long ago.
I used to criticize Biden prior to his winning the nomination and didn’t care for some of his political history. But out of all the candidates, as an investor, I wanted Biden to win for financial reasons.
Has anyone filed any legal briefs?
Miscellany 2. Good God!
JFC, I seriously want to see the math on this one. How the fuck did this dumbass get to it being Democrats fault in a state that we don’t hold the keys of power for?
This alone probably gets him close to 50%, for better or worse.
And they elected a know-nothing has-been football coach to the Senate, because… football !!!
The problem in Ohio is that the Republicans about 30-40 years ago concluded that they benefitted electorally as the people got stupider and the smart ones left the state, so they gave up on progress. That wasn’t always the case with Ohio Republicans, some of whom once upon a time even supported planned parenthood! Once one party realizes that they benefit from ignorance it’s really hard to stop the forces of entropy.
My bet is that she’s reasoning that because it’s unusually frigid in TX, that means that climate change is a hoax and the green new deal is a scam to get money for scientists and Al Gore.
(In reality of course, climate change models predict the strengthening of the polar vortex owing to the shallower gradient of temperatures between the tropics and the poles.)
I just read a good article that explains the reasons for Texas’s lack of power right now. One big reason:
True to its nickname, the Lone Star State runs its own self-contained electric grid.
That lets Texas avoid dealing much with the federal government when it comes to its grid. But that gives the state’s grid operator few ways of drawing power from neighboring states during times of extreme energy demand.
“One state over might be doing just fine where Texas could be struggling because there’s no way to move power between those two states,” said Joshua Rhodes, a researcher at the Webber Energy Group at the University of Texas at Austin.
And:
The electricity market in Texas is also set up differently from many other states.
While other regions pay power companies to make sure they have generators on call during times of high demand, Texas electricity customers pay only for the power actually provided. That leads to lower prices during normal times, but risks the reliability of the grid when demand for electricity spikes.
Of course, that isn’t stopping Tuckie and the WSJ Editorial Board from expressing fake outrage and fact-free criticism.
That made me instantly enraged. The opportunism in that woman is as slimy as it gets. Maybe to be only outdone by MTG. But people are suffering here and she can just shut the [blank] up.
And Abbot can do the same.
He suggested state lawmakers may look into whether the state’s energy system “needs some type of backup system to make sure if power companies do fail in the generation of power there will be another source of power available for them.
I will have to do some digging, but this sounds like language that has been used not too far in the past to actually to do that. Such a new revelation that they need fail over power!
Republicans aren’t good about learning from mistakes. We’ll see.
“I personally don’t think anyone’s really to blame,” Rhodes said. “This is a black swan event.”
He added now going forward, “I hope we decide to plan for it.”
I can just hear the excuse that it won’t happen again like that.