US Navy Hospital Ship Arriving Soon In New York City

NEW YORK (AP) — A Navy hospital ship with 1,000 beds is scheduled to arrive Monday morning in New York Harbor to help relieve the coronavirus crisis gripping the city’s hospitals.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1300424
1 Like

That post is about this article of emails from the CDC documenting the shit hitting the fan in the CDC.

8 Likes

This is basically what the PA that did my recent annual physical told me.

4 Likes

Oh yes - Check out Panel 5

5 Likes

Indeed…Heckuva Job Covidiot Trump…10 out of 10 INCOMPETENCE = Criminal Negligence!

6 Likes

I have the feeling that ship will be viewed as Trump’s Titanic.

8 Likes

Unfortunately the USN only has two Hospital Ships, the USNS Comfort and the USNS Mercy. It’d be interesting to see how they cope with future requirements though. It’ll probably be more of FEMA and the Army’s engineers creating temp hospitals.

6 Likes

They just erected a field hospital in Central Park.

14 Likes

Chicago’s McCormick Place, which bills itself as ‘‘the largest and most flexible use convention center in North America,’’ is going to be made into a 3,000-bed field hospital.

7 Likes

drump always has to be forced to do the something right (mainly when he see’s it hurting him on TV), so many things that should of and could of been done back at the start of the year.

2 Likes

Comfort is supposed to be on 5-day readiness accorgint to US Navy standars. White House should have known Feb 1 that ship would be needed. It is great to have it in NYC, but it is two weeks or more late. Comfort has been late before.
Sat event was pure PR set-up for the President. I followed the ship using a vessel tracking app. Comfort circled around last night to time it arrival in NY for 10:00 AM press event. But, the fact that this ship could not sail in 5 days is a scandal. But Tea Party just does not want to pay for readiness and anything not needed yesterday, and we all pay for this. Elmhurst would not have been overwhelmed this week iif Comfort had been in port two weeks ago. Sad

5 Likes

The one in Central Park is in addition to the gigantic one at the Javits Center on the West side, in what used to be called Hell’s Kitchen.

5 Likes

Here’s a crappy story of greed from Philadelphia.

A hospital with room for nearly 500 beds has been closed for months in the center of Philadelphia, a city bracing for the spread of the coronavirus and a crush of sick patients.

But the facility will remain empty, city officials said, because they cannot accept the owner’s offer: buy the hospital or lease it for almost $1 million a month, including utilities and other costs.

“We don’t have the need to own it nor the resources to buy it. So we are done and we are moving on,” Mayor Jim Kenney told reporters on Thursday during the city’s daily briefing.

The next day, he said that Temple University would let the city use a music and sports venue for free. The city would no longer pursue the closed facility, Hahnemann University Hospital.

8 Likes

A little ray of sunlight…this is good…

1 Like

Grifters gotta grift. I bet the ‘owner’ is a friend of Trump Inc.

2 Likes

"The USNS Comfort, which was sent to New York City after 9/11, will be used to treat non-coronavirus patients while hospitals treat people with COVID-19.

The trick now is keeping the coronavirus from spreading to and throughout the ship.

1 Like

I understand four other NYC sites are also being considered, one in each of the other boroughs.

3 Likes

As an aside that sort of piggybacks on your post, within the past two decades (2003-2018) NYC has closed hospitals for the purposes of using the space for grossly overpriced residential housing.

I know this for a fact because the hospital I was born in (during the 20thC) was turned into luxury condos. Not one of those apts. had my name on it, however.

8 Likes

Yep. Doubt that will be a successful endeavor.

2 Likes

I can only assume Jared Kushner is on the board?

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available