Trump Tries To Help His Supporters Fit Conviction Into The Alternate MAGA Reality

On Thursday, a Manhattan jury found former President Donald Trump guilty of all 34 charges of falsifying business records in the New York hush money trial. The historic verdict, delivered by a jury that Trump’s lawyers helped pick, made him the first former president in American history to be convicted of a felony.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1491415
2 Likes

None of this is possible without media monopolies in the Heartland. Americans are being propagandized into destroying their own democracy and the law does nothing about it. Worse, the SCOTUS enabled it deliberately by their rulings.

44 Likes

Non corpus mentis.

11 Likes

I keep hoping he loses some MAGAs as he decompensates further. But they’re sliding down right with him, aren’t they?

19 Likes

Wasn’t it earlier this week he referred to the U.S. as “a fascist country?”

It’s as if the MAGA morons don’t understand the obvious premise of his approach to everything all the time: he wins, or everybody loses. And everything is rigged, fascist, corrupt, partisan, unfair, dumb, worst in history, rinse repeat.

What is it about standing in the glorious shadow of his corpulent golf bod that makes them unable to see anything other than majesty?

31 Likes

I think this is the real effect of the trial. It’s not going to change anyone’s mind who was otherwise going to support him but it is going to eat away at his rotten, black heart until he can’t do anything else other than bitch constantly about the judge and the prosecutor and the judicial system. His entire campaign going forward is going to be focused on this and he won’t be willing or able to do anything else. And if, God forbid, he still manages to win in November it will be four years of nothing but trying to overturn the conviction and punish anyone and anything Trump believes assisted it.

34 Likes

More of this please. Keep ‘talking’ Donnie. Keep going in front of the cameras too.

23 Likes

Severe mental illness.

19 Likes

“The incoherent address to a room of supporters did hit some of the points we expected to hear [calling] Judge Juan Merchan a ‘conflicted judge’…”

54 Likes

For the true cultists, it’s their alienation from American culture and society and the resulting adulation of a man who promises to burn it, and all of their enemies, to the ground.

For the Christofascists, it’s his demonstrated subservience to them and his willingness to give them everything they ask for.

For the billlionaires, it’s the tax cuts and deregulation.

For the racists, it’s the racism.

Trump brings the total package.

68 Likes

Honestly, he’s out of his effing mind. My question is what excuse do his followers have? They are not all lunatics. ETA: Continuing to attack the judge who will be sentencing him in a few months does not seem like a good strategy.

31 Likes

And delivers it with tiny, tiny hands.

21 Likes

So get revenge on all of his political enemies and then meekly hand the White House keys over to President Harris/Whitmer/Newsom—who will be hungry for revenge—in January 2029?

2 Likes

Big Cadaver Energy.

30 Likes

He’s such a broken record accusing everyone against him as committing the same atrocities he is himself most guilty of. If he misses pissing into a toilet, he will publicly accuse Joe Biden of pissing on the floor and wall… and all over the place like we’ve never seen before. And if we call him on his missed piss he’ll claim it’s all rigged.

19 Likes

Forgot to order more spray tan.

6 Likes

It’s a cult, and this loony senator is in it:

29 Likes

Yep, exactly. "I didn’t testify because I don’t know when to stop.:

22 Likes

Are you talking about Trump or the LDS Church? Never mind, in Lee’s case. it’s a two-fer. He makes Mitt Romney look like an actual saint.

16 Likes

Every accusation … Yaddah, Yaddah, Yaddah

25 Likes