Trump Impeachment Lawyer Argues Trial Shouldn’t Include Vids Of Deadly Siege Ex-POTUS Incited

David Schoen, one of the impeachment lawyers ex-President Donald Trump hired at the last minute, on Monday night protested against Democrats’ plan to show videos of the pro-Trump mob’s deadly storming of the Capitol at the Senate impeachment trial next week.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1357823
1 Like

Like asserting very strongly that the moon is made of green cheese and then arguing that we shouldn’t get to look at all the rocks the astronauts brought back.

61 Likes

…Trial Shouldn’t Include Vids Of Deadly Siege Ex-POTUS Incited

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAaaaaaahahaaaaaaaaaaa!!

:joy: :joy: :joy:

42 Likes

“The country doesn’t need to just watch videos of riots and unrest. We need to heal now. We need to move forward,” Schoen said on Monday

Doctors employ a similar approach when refusing to look at patient x-rays.

48 Likes

Great defense.

If we don’t show videos and people dying then we can simply argue it didn’t happen.

Magical thinking is not a legal argument. You would think Trump lawyers would have figured that out by now.

50 Likes

Did someone tell this ambulance-chaser that the impeachment charge is “incitement to riot”?

28 Likes

Well, really … if there’s evidence, the legislators MUST NOT SEE IT. The insurrection that Trump is charged with is irrelevant to the case of “inciting insurrection.” Now, non-existant “voter fraud” for which zero evidence exists … that’s THE WHOLE CASE!

Great set of lawyers he’s got there.

24 Likes

“The black eye will heal! If you keep complaining you might get another one!”

16 Likes

Shorter lawyer:

He’s fucked.

31 Likes

Mandy Rice-Davies applies. He would say that, wouldn’t he? He also thinks the whole thing is tainted because shock news: Many Democratic senators don’t like Trump! It’s like saying a trial is irreparably tainted because the prosecution believes the defendant is guilty; they’re not open-minded about it at all. I understand he’s a cheap shyster who doesn’t have much to work with, but really that’s all kind of thin.

30 Likes

And why? It’s worked for his entire life so far.

5 Likes

Only the best legal counsel representing Orange Turd Blossom. Evidence?! What evidence? We need to heal and unite!

6 Likes

It didn’t work about 60 times from November to January (?).

4 Likes

Ah, the ol’ “Wizard of Oz” defense, i.e. “don’t look behind the curtain!” One can only conclude that Schoen got his law degree from the esteemed Trump University.

P.S. Q: What do you call a law student that finishes last in their class? A: A lawyer.

4 Likes

We could speed up the healing if we ignored the vote of any Senator who had stated he would vote no and didn’t need to look at the evidence.

20 Likes

Good luck with that!

3 Likes

Oh sure, the riot has nothing to do with Trump. Everyone just ignore all the Trump flags and other Trump paraphernalia in the crowd. And please ignore the Trump name on the knit hat the guy was wearing when he carried away Speaker Pelosi’s lectern. Nothing to see here!

I will be very disappointed if that photo of the guy carrying the lectern isn’t blown up as a huge poster sitting next to the House impeachment managers. Hell, they could just spend a few minutes pointing to it, and then rest their case.

17 Likes

Or fake videos taken live by the rioters on their phones.

8 Likes

IANAL but this seems like about the dumbest fucking legal argument I’ve ever heard.
(that said, I’m sure some of the lawyers here can probably chime in with a few doozies)

15 Likes

They are in it for the scam, hoping Trump will pay them. Not all that bright.

8 Likes