Trump Impeachment Inquiry Not Limited To Ukraine, House Lawyer Says

The House’s general counsel said on Tuesday that the impeachment inquiry against President Donald Trump goes beyond his attempt to get Ukraine to investigate 2020 rival Joe Biden.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1254610

Of course it’s not just Ukraine. Ukraine is just the call that made it out. There are a lot more shakedowns of other countries (or sellout stuff to russkies) locked away in that vault.

37 Likes

“Democrats leading the impeachment effort may also charge Trump with obstructing Congress and lying to the public.”

Total slam dunk.

They could practically convict by acclamation.

45 Likes

Hell, why wait for everyone to come back from recess… Just ask for unanimous consent…

15 Likes

or tweet…

11 Likes

The only real question at this point is whether they’ll dare to have a “hardware failure” before everything comes out of Pandora’s box.

7 Likes

Or forget the password… Would be hard to justify the hardware failure, as it’s probably got multiple backups, including in off-site secure storage (in some nuclear-hardened bunker somewhere).

8 Likes

No, no, no. Nothing will be settled until Dems put out pithy talking points or take unspecified drastic action

15 Likes

And emoluments for dessert?

14 Likes

But this is Trump. I heard he got a deal from Drop Box. The password is on a yellow Post-it Note on his desk.

14 Likes

that Democrats leading the impeachment effort may also charge Trump with obstructing Congress and lying to the public.

Trump: That’s moving the goalposts!!!

7 Likes

I think there may be as many as a half dozen article of impeachment before we’re through.

20 Likes

And Turkey. And KSA.

5 Likes

Very funny.

4 Likes

Democrats can’t do this.:scream: It would make them appear competent!

5 Likes

Good. I understand the impulse to keep it direct and narrowly focused as something easier to convince the public about, but that would also make it easier to blockade against. I’d love it if they could pull in some of his illegal profiteering too.

10 Likes

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

The judge is looking at things even more broadly:

[Judge] Howell asked if Trump had to have committed a crime to be impeached. The answer from Letter was an unequivocal “no.”

Howell then asked if Trump could be impeached for lying to the American public. “I believe so, yes,” Letter said.

“Another possible impeachment count is obstruction of Congress,” Letter added.

A hypothetical Senate conviction of the President following a House impeachment inquiry wouldn’t need to stick to criminal legal issues, Letter said.

18 Likes

Is that what happened to Jeffrey Epstein?

I have no idea.

5 Likes

Remember when another POTUS got investigated by a special prosecutor over a real estate deal and ended up tried in the Senate for lying about an affair?

Let’s make sure Trump’s watercarriers don’t either.

8 Likes