Trump Follows McConnell’s Lead On Impeachment…Will It Last?

President Donald Trump has been letting Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) call the shots on impeachment, though the next few weeks may test that odd-couple relationship.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1285627
1 Like

We can only hope Mr. Trump goes with his usual off-the rails impulses as impeachment managers lay out the case. He’ll definitely not like that…particularly if his legal team doesn’t refute everything in detail and in the most extreme, partisan language.

17 Likes

The blind leading the deaf. What could possibly go wrong? (Hopefully, everything.) :thinking:

13 Likes

I don’t see how they think calling Biden to testify is a winning move. If I’m Biden, I just sit there and point out over and over that I’m there, while Trump is too chicken to testify under oath. I ask over and over why Rudy, Pompeo, and Mulvaney have refused to testify. I ask why Trump won’t produce any documents. And I point to the GOP Senators in the room who demanded Shokin be fired. How do they think they’ll answer any of that?

26 Likes

Let the games begin. Let Trump take over, override all advice, which is his wont.
I am praying for a total shit show.

16 Likes

I think Trump will find it easier to behave himself if the experience isn’t overly stressful. Is it stressful to be impeached? That to me is the key question. :wink:

31 Likes

Trump tends to follow his own instincts above anyone else’s,

Be best, Mr. President. You have to show the voters and the rest of the world how a real man with a very, very good brain commands respect.

12 Likes

Good luck with getting Trump to shut up or give up his tweetie-phone during the impeachment trial. This is probably a factor behind Moscow Mitch’s push to minimize the overall trial length, by forcing the Senate into 16-20 hour days, day after day, until it’s done. Can only keep the baby quiet for very limited periods of time.

19 Likes

You have mastered irony

9 Likes

The emojis help.

8 Likes

I think its going to depend on whether other witnesses are called.

2 Likes

I’m not convinced they’ll be allowed to even speak, quite frankly. I suspect #ditchMoscowMitch will do his level best to open and shut this so fast, no one will know what happened.

He has no sense of propriety nor a sense of honor. It’s all in the protection of the criminal. I hold out only nominal hope that the House managers will even get a word in edgewise.

8 Likes

Short answer:

No.

The reason a (sham) Senate impeachment trial is starting tomorrow is literally only BECAUSE Donny CAN’T shut the ---- up.

The MINUTE something happens he doesn’t like Twitter shall e’splode and the yellicopter chats will commence.

17 Likes

Trump Has Been Following McConnell’s Lead On Impeachment

Alright. But how does this explain his legal team?

14 Likes

Yes, and the criminal he most needs to protect is himself - Moscow Mitch.

6 Likes

I said earlier today that, while the Senators can’t have their devices in the hearing room, Trump can.

And he will burn Twitter down with his commentary and Fox News will cover those tweets non-stop.

2 Likes

Yeah, that data point messes up the neatness of the graph. : (

10 Likes

Over/Under?

16 Likes

The legal team isn’t there to defend Trump.

The legal team is there to make a show of this and to dispose of it as quickly as possible.

Somehow the Right believes the legal team is a ‘dream’ team. They honestly believe they will prevail. But that legal team will do whatever #ditchMoscowMitch tells them to do and that includes Roberts.

And we ignore all that at our peril.

8 Likes

This is the perfect scenario. Throughout the last nightmarish 3 years, whenever donnie reluctantly bows to cooler, smarter heads/advice, he quickly follows it up with coo-coo crazy.

17 Likes